• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Library module Remove Face Detection Regions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Sholder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
v8.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm finding that personally I don't like the face detection and would like to remove the regions from all images. However in doing this for a small subset of images as described on page 150 of the Missing FAQ, I have found that it also removed the "normal" keyword IF that keyword and the face detection name matched.

The problem is I don't want to have to go back and re-add all those keywords, just want to remove any references to the face detection regions in my catalog.

I've been using keywords for years and thought I might try the face detection, but I just don't like it.

Thanks,
Kevin

I choose the quickest method which was to deleted the current catalog, contents of the Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata folder and restored a catalog from before I started the face detection. I knew this would be OK as I made no edits to images during the short time frame I was looking at this. Then wrote any differences in XMP data from the catalog back to the images. As I can fix those again if needed.

I would not recommend this method unless you are sure about what to do after restoring an older catalog.

Thanks,
Kevin

I would still like to understand why the keywords were removed from the images it had tagged when I removed the face detection region.

Thanks,
Kevin

It's because people are stored as keywords Kevin, so it's hijacked the existing keyword when you used an identical name. I'm not sure there's a way round that actually. It's probably not a scenario that was considered.

Going out on a limb here, but wouldn't un-checking the "People" attribute on the keywords associated with faces convert them back to regular keywords that refer to the whole images rather than referring to just regions in images?

It's because people are stored as keywords Kevin, so it's hijacked the existing keyword when you used an identical name. I'm not sure there's a way round that actually. It's probably not a scenario that was considered.

That makes sense. Good thing I choose the path I did. A little clean up, but nothing that can't be done. Thanks again for you help!!

Kevin

Going out on a limb here, but wouldn't un-checking the "People" attribute on the keywords associated with faces convert them back to regular keywords that refer to the whole images rather than referring to just regions in images?
I had the same thought, but when I tested it the keyword was still removed from the image when deleting the face region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back