• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Remove an object with spot removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
How could one remove the camera? Using the spot removal does not work very well. Instead of the camera there should be the background color.
X77Yx7z.png

It should be fairly easy to do that with the spot removal tool, but you probably have to switch to 'Clone' in this example. Setting the Feather to 100 is also not a good idea. To avoid getting hard edges it should be enough to set it to 20 - 30 or so.

Well, you can do a lot of such edits with LR's spot correction tool, but it's not automatic. Unlike spots, we're dealing with a variety of unpredictable shapes.

My tips:
  • Don't just click the spot, use Ctrl+drag (or Cmd+drag on Mac) to point to where you want to copy from
  • Switch the view to Never - in the toolbar or use H
  • Be prepared to use a number of spot correction to make the end result realistic

It should be fairly easy to do that with the spot removal tool, but you probably have to switch to 'Clone' in this example. Setting the Feather to 100 is also not a good idea. To avoid getting hard edges it should be enough to set it to 20 - 30 or so.
Yes, the feather setting was wron.

With these settings there is an edge, a spot:
MYJFKi6.png

This looks quite good:
DKAXz5z.png

IR3je8C.png

Before:
VB5Dg27.png

Switch the view to Never - in the toolbar or use H
When I press H nothing seems to happen. What does never refere to?

Be prepared to use a number of spot correction to make the end result realistic
So use more than one spot over the same spot? Or around a spot? I cannot get a second spot over another one, only side by side.

When I press H nothing seems to happen. What does never refere to?
It never shows the tool overlay (the circles or the shapes). It's at the bottom left, just below the image.

Lightroom.jpg

I cannot get a second spot over another one, only side by side.
You can after you hide the tool overlay.

Ah yes, now I see, thank you.

So you have to turn off and on the overlay to move the spots to be copied from and to set spots one over the other.

Ah yes, now I see, thank you.

So you have to turn off and on the overlay to move the spots to be copied from and to set spots one over the other.
When you turn off the overlay, you can clone/heal anywhere, including on a place where you cloned/healed before. If you want to move a source spot, then indeed you have to turn the overlay on again.

Yes, that is exactly the point. I tend to prefer Auto, so I can move the cursor off the image and see the image without the points, but I'll switch to Hidden for more complex cloning like this.

John

Alright, thank you very much!

Why does the spot not get white like the spot to be copied from?
DhMo4JK.png

46Rscqg.png

3DE6Oj8.png

With "Clone" it looks like this:
HbubCCk.png

And how could I make it white / become the same / similar background?

And how could I avoid that the spot to be copied from is place outside the frame / crop?
pLYDr9n.png

Last edited:
I notice you used several brush strokes to fill that patch there. Have you tried to cover the whole spot with a single mouse "press and release" ?

Sent using Tapatalk

These tiny screenshots are difficult to judge, but the normal way for doing this for me would be to first clone the entire spot (using an area quite a bit larger than the dark spot). Then I would use heal to repair the edges that cloning no doubt will leave.

I notice you used several brush strokes to fill that patch there. Have you tried to cover the whole spot with a single mouse "press and release" ?
Yes, I tried both, so a single mouse stroke also.

I would have to place a few cloning spots because there is too few are to use a single one:
7xxSc8b.png

2NbrwHK.png

5zpLQCi.png

Does not look perfect but much better:
HDdeVTF.png

Sometimes when I add a spot (over other spots) the background gets darken again although the copy spot is on white area. Why is that?

When Lightroom automatically places a copy spot outside the crop, how can I get that spot into the crop then?

When Lightroom automatically places a copy spot outside the crop, how can I get that spot into the crop then?
Press the Slash (/) key. That asks Lightroom to use a different source area.

I could not have said it better! :)
Oops, actually I wouldn't think that. Sorry, I tried to write (just too many keys): Thank you very much!

When all else fails, Photoshop will typically do it better.
Yes, but I guess it is more likely that my skills are limiting the editing quality.

It's true that this is much easier to do in Photoshop. The disadvantage of using Photoshop for something like this is that is breaks your non-destructive raw-workflow and creates a tiff copy. It's a matter of deciding which is more important to you. Sometimes I would take the time to try to do it in Lightroom, and sometimes I know that Photoshop is really the only option.

The disadvantage of using Photoshop for something like this is that is breaks your non-destructive raw-workflow and creates a tiff copy.
What is the disadvantage of it?

What is the disadvantage of it?
The disadvantage is first of all that you have an extra copy, but most of all that your Lightroom edits will be 'baked in' the TIFF file, so you will not be able to change them after you did that work in Photoshop.

May be, if those edits in Photoshop are needed in any case, one could do them first in Photoshop and after go on with Lightroom.

May be, if those edits in Photoshop are needed in any case, one could do them first in Photoshop and after go on with Lightroom.
You could, but that is still not the same. If you open a raw file in Photoshop from Lightroom, the image gets rendered and the copy is RGB. That means that it’s not the same. You can’t change the white balance anymore, for example, because the white balance is ‘baked in’ now. You can add WB corrections, but that is not the same as setting the WB in raw conversion.

Yes, I understand. So what would be the best way though if one has to edit in Photoshop? I assume, editing with Photoshop is very common, so many would have that issue.

And why generally at all is it important after the first finished edits to be able to do further edits?

Yes, I understand. So what would be the best way though if one has to edit in Photoshop? I assume, editing with Photoshop is very common, so many would have that issue.

And why generally at all is it important after the first finished edits to be able to do further edits?
One reason could be that nobody is perfect. You may want to change something after a while, even though you were initially quite happy. Another reason could be that technology advances. What isn’t possible today, may be possible next year. But then it may mean you have to start all over again. It’s not a big deal, but it is worth keeping in mind when you decide how to tackle a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back