• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! As well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes, Lightroom Classic has a new local Hue tool, improved ISO-specific defaults, performance improvements and more. The Lightroom cloud ecosystem also gets local Hue, as well as Versions, Activity notifications, text watermarking and the ability to upload your own Discovery tutorials. Here are the full updates about Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom cloud ecosystem.

Remove albums from the list without "deleting"

alaios

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
latest, updated frequently
Operating System
Windows 10
Hi,
I want to remove list elements from the album list without "touching" anything on my lightroom classic. I do not see the reason to have in the list very old albums that I do not use anymore and no any reason lightroom to keep synchinc those (okay that I can disable).

Is it possible to do that?

Last question for albums stored locally I guess I can preview the photos at large zoom factor to edit them in more details

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Assuming they are synced with Classic (so you are licensed to use Classic and all have synced) then you can delete Albums and they will stay in Classic. You'll be asked if you want them to stay in All Synced - you mentioned you want to remove from the cloud, so yes will remove them everywhere on the cloud eco-system (but won't delete them in Classic)

Albums stored locally - if you tell Lightroom (cloud) to delete then it will do just that, you'd need to open Classic to see them.

alaios

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Assuming they are synced with Classic (so you are licensed to use Classic and all have synced) then you can delete Albums and they will stay in Classic. You'll be asked if you want them to stay in All Synced - you mentioned you want to remove from the cloud, so yes will remove them everywhere on the cloud eco-system (but won't delete them in Classic)

Albums stored locally - if you tell Lightroom (cloud) to delete then it will do just that, you'd need to open Classic to see them.

first thanks for the detailed replay. I appreciate.
Yes I have lightroom classic (I have the subscription that covers lightroom[both versions] and photoshop). So I delete in lightroom and this will not remove files from classic. Will collections remain too in the lightroom classic?

For albums stored locally then deleting them means that this will only touch files in lightroom and everything will be untouched in lightroom classic.

Sorry for double checking. No nice to have surprises :)

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Will collections remain too in the lightroom classic?
No. So, better way to do that is to go to Classic and untick it syncing to the Cloud (zigzag on the left of the Collection)

However, that will leave them in All Synced Photos, so once you unsync the Collection (as above), select all the photos in that Collection (check how many), with them selected switch to All Synced Photos (check the selected number is the same) and delete. That then removes them from the Cloud but leaves them in a local Classic Collection.

Remember, whatever Classic soaks up (from the cloud) it keeps until you specifically delete it from Classic (by going to the folder and deleting it)

alaios

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
No. So, better way to do that is to go to Classic and untick it syncing to the Cloud (zigzag on the left of the Collection)

However, that will leave them in All Synced Photos, so once you unsync the Collection (as above), select all the photos in that Collection (check hpow many), with them selected switch to All Synced Photos (check the selected number is the same) and delete. That then removes them from the Cloud but leaves them in a local Classic Collection.

Remember, whatever Classic soaks up (from the cloud) it keeps until you specifically delete it from Classic (by going to the folder and deleting it)
Ok so untick in lightroom classic. Then remove albums from lightroom.
Collection will remain in lightroom classic.
Thanks

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Ok so untick in lightroom classic. Then remove albums from lightroom.
Collection will remain in lightroom classic.
No, when you untick Collections in Classic the Albums will go when this syncs to Cloud. But you will need to remove them from All Synced Photos in Classic, hence the step of selecting them in the Collection (in Classic) once unticked, change to All Synced in the top left, check it's the same number and delete. Then they will delete completely from the cloud.