• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Release 9.0 Sync Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfhunnicutt

Lightroom Version Number
Release 9.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Syncing has stopped working for me shortly after upgrading to Rel 9.0. Prior to experiencing the problem, I had ~43000 images synced. I have been one of the original users of syncing since its outset. To try to get it going again, I have tried numerous things.
a. Trying to clear any stuck files by changing metadata
b. Rebuilding the sync data file
c. Uninstalling and reinstalling Lr 9.0
d. Removing all images from the cloud to start over

Syncing between my iOS devices and the cloud work just fine. The problem is strictly limited to Lr Classic.

I have worked with Adobe support via chat and by phone. The techs seem like entry level people, trying hard to help, but without suffice experience to handle a difficult, non obvious issue. Could there be problem in 9.0 with syncing? Any other suggestions on what to try would be very welcomed. Thank you.

Syncing works fine with Lr Classic 9 and MacOS Mojave. Lightroom+Catalina is still having issues, so this could be one of them.

So how far does it actually get?

Hi Victoria

Right now, I am trying to sync only 4 jpgs. The cloud is empty. In Lr, the All Synced Photos = 0. So, it s empty. Yet, none of the 4 candidates move. It's dead stuck. So how far does it get? Nowhere.

Previously, I had 43000 successfully synced. Now, none.

So where are those 4 jpegs, i.e. are you trying to sync them from Classic to the cloud, or from the cloud to Classic? I assume the first case, in which case if All Synced Photographs is empty, how have you enabled them to sync?

Jim

You are correct in your assumption ... classic to cloud. Sync was enabled by putting them in a collection and checking the little sync box, as usual. The All Synced photos is empty indicating the sync process never progressed. Its stuck. That's the problem.

Try dragging and dropping those 4 images into the All Synced Photographs collection to see if that kick-starts things (also make sure that syncing isn't paused!).

Jim

No luck on syncing, but 4 now shows in the All Synced Photos folder. Still stuck. I have a call scheduled with an Adobe "high level tech" on Monday so we will see what he/she says. Thanks for your thoughts.

So are you OK with starting completely afresh? If so, you do mention "Removing all images from the cloud to start over" but nowhere do I see anything about "Delete all synced data".

This button on Preferences/Lightroom Sync will clear everything sync-related. So don't use it until you have saved any photos that may exist only on Adobe's servers (use Lightroom Web to download them).

John

John

Sorry I didn’t say that, but that step has already been done. Started as fresh as I can. However, there is a file controlling sync somewhere that is not getting reset. I suspect it is somewhere in the collection of catalog files. Reinstalling the program along with deleting all of the preferences and clearing All Sync Photos did not help. I am wondering if there is something in Adobe’s server that has locked me out.

Also, I have tried several catalog files from the collection of backups.

An update ... I have verified that I can sync down from the cloud to Classic. However, I cannot sync in the other direction ... up from Classic to the cloud.

I had a similar experience, which after a very frustrating week-end seem to have solved.

After upgrading to 9.0, I couldn’t sync from cloud apps (iOS) to classic on a windows computer.
Tried deleting lrsyncdata, didn’t work.
Tried deleting all 17.000 photos from the cloud storage and start over, didn’t work. Note, this included emptying the cloud folder deleted photos, where they otherwise remain for 60 days (or whatever).
Tried to uninstall and install previous Classic version 8.x, didn’t work...

At the end, Classic tried to sync 17.000 photos, totally stalling with no progress at all during several hours... Even though I had unchecked syncronization of all my folders.

The solution came however when I found that under ”Account Info” (in the cloud by web browser), there is a buttom ”Delete Lightroom library”. Now that worked wonders.

Seems that when whiping the cloud storage, it wasn’t enough to delete all photos AND also deleting them once again in the trash folder. The library also had to be deleted. I think I became suspicious when I still had a few gigabyte cloud storage used (not sure about this), even though I had zero photos and zero contents in the trash...

After making sure syncing works the way it should, I tried upgrading again to Classic 9.0. And yes, so far it works. Now I am slowly rebuilding my cloud again by enabling sync, folder by folder...

BINGO! Thank you Peter.

My symptoms were almost exactly the same as yours. Your solution unlocked the syncing as now its flowing again. Lets hope that Adobe sees this thread and builds some diagnostics to alleviate this problem and maybe we can help others.

Thanks again!
Chuck

That ”Delete Lightroom library” should do exactly the same as pressing the "Delete all synced data".

We have actually seen a gradual increase in diagnostics and other safeguards in the Lightroom cloud service (eg the Deleted trash feature) but aren't cloud-dependent apps always likely to disappoint users who might have the skills and desire to fix problems for themselves? The mentality seems to be that big brother will look after you ;)

John

I agree they should be the same, but they aren’t as evidenced by Peter’s and my experience. Perhaps this is because we both had a small residual amount of memory used in the cloud after clearing all of the images out. In my case, it was 49 mb. The “Delete All Sync data” did not clear this. “Delete Library “ did clear it and allowed syncing to restart.

This morning I have a call with a “high level” Adobe tech. If I learn anything new, I will post it.

Thank you for your help.

One thought is that LR could be confused about the sync.lrdata file. Before 9.0, this was a slightly-hidden file, but 9.0 creates one in the same folder as the synced catalogue, if possible by taking over any existing version. What I am thinking is that 9.0's Rebuild Sync Data and Delete All commands may delete 9's sync.lrdata, but then go back and re-use the older one. But this is only a guess and time-consuming to prove.

John

I had a a good call with Adobe support. The tech explained that there are 2 catalogs ... one in Classic on the desktop and the other on the web in the cloud. Either can become corrupted. So that’s why there are 2 distinct “delete” commands. They are not the same and each refers to its specific catalog.

In my case, and probably in Peter’s, the corruption was in the web catalog, not Classic’s. Thus, the web “Delete library” was the effective solution.

In retrospect, I should have realized there must be two catalogs. The one for Classic is well known to us. The web catalog is necessary for the web based Lr to function. Having created 2 versions of Lr and trying to make them work together when syncing from Classic has introduced a whole new level of syncing complexity.

Anyway, the problem is solved, understanding is improved, and I am busily rebuilding all of my synced collections.

Thanks for your interest and help. This is a great forum!

Ah, but the Delete in the catalogue sends you to the one on the web....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back