• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Reinstallation Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevevp

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have been getting some erratic behaviour with Lightroom lately and thought I should try a reinstallation. Whilst I presume that all I need to do is use Windows Control Panel to do the uninstall, I wonder if there is anything else I should do eg delete the previews file which might be corrupt or any other files to get rid of? I guess I then double click on the lrcat file to pick up where I left off?

For the record, the erratic behaviour includes:
1. A black screen and "Lightroom Develop Not Responding" message for about 10 seconds especially when using the Shift+Double Click to set the Black & White points.
2. When I give a star rating to an image in Develop the auto-advance will often then jump past the next image to the 2nd or 3rd image.
3. Images are given random star ratings before I have developed them.

My computer is a Windows 10 i7-2600 3.40GHz 16GB RAM 64bit and has the latest Nvidia driver for the GeForce GTX 460 video card. I have also run the Windows memory check program.

Thanks very much for that Victoria. Apart from skipping files on the auto-advance, it was working ok this morning but I need to bite the bullet and do a reinstall. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I've not checked the mouse drive but will do so. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hos did the reinstall go? Im needing yo do that myself and dong wantnto lose my pics, interested in hearing what you did?

Hi,

I'm afraid I've not braved the reinstall yet. So far I have just deleted all my previews and, as Victoria has suggested above, reset my preferences. I did this yesterday and things have improved a great deal although I have had one more "Develop Not Responding" error message. If Lightroom again becomes unusable I will do the reinstall.

A reinstall should not affect your pics which are not contained in Lightroom although you should back-up your catalog file as that is where all your changes are.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back