• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Reinstall not working properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flylooper

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I recently had to reinstall the latest version of LR (am a a subscriber to the Creative Cloud service from Adobe) I shot off a couple of hundred pictures and am trying to get them to open in LR so I can manpulate them. (I'm an admitted newbie to the Adobe suite of photography apps.)

Unfortunately, LR does not seem to be able to read any of the files on the memory chip from my camera, whether CR2 (Canon Raw) or JPG. I would also add that LR (As presently installed) will not open any of old files stored onboard the computer (NEF, RAW, CR2, JPG) either. All I get is an error message that LR cannot read the files. ("Some import operations were not performed")

The curious thing is that my Photoshop (PS) app has no problem at all with opening these files directly off of the camera's memory chip. How is it that one Adobe app has no problem with my files and another closely related app does have a problem?

Can someone point me in the right directrion to get LR to run right?

My computer is running Win10.

Last edited:
It is a really bad idea to be working with an app directly on the card (whether in the camera or card reader).

It is recommended to copy the images from your card to your computer using a dedicated card reader.

You are risking corrupting the card and all images on it. The only device which should write to your card and or format the card is the camera itself.

It is a really bad idea to be working with an app directly on the card (whether in the camera or card reader).

It is recommended to copy the images from your card to your computer using a dedicated card reader.

You are risking corrupting the card and all images on it. The only device which should write to your card and or format the card is the camera itself.

Thank you for the tip. I assume that by "dedicated card reader" do you mean the USB device into which I insert my card?

Anyway, that's what I normally do anyway. I'm just trying different schemes to see if I can get LR to simply import my stuff. I also keep copies of all my CR2/RAW/NEF files both onbaord the computer and in the cloud.

Lightroom may wish to write to xml files or to internal metadata in dng files. There may be several threads running in the background at the same time. Loads of opportunity for something to go wrong.

Do not use Add mode option when importing from a card in a camera.

To the OP, So you - "had to re-install the latest version..."
In Lightroom, If you do Menu > Help > System Info - what version number of Lightroom is shown?
So often a re-install will run the 'Application Installer' and put v6.0 back in place, and you then have to also run the 'Update' to the 'latest'- which is v6.12 (Six.Twelve)
(Your profile shows you were on v6.3)

Next- quote- "All I get is an error message that LR cannot read the files."
This message usually means that the files being imported- cannot be 'WRITTEN'. Lightroom does not have a suitable destination for the files. Check the destination folder or drive that you have selected in the Import dialog and be sure it either exists (is an external drive connected?) or can be created, and the destination has full Read/Write permissions.
Note: you cannot import files from a camera card using the 'Add' option. (This is a default to prevent people camera-formatting their photos into deleted oblivion.)

Quote-"will not open any of old files stored on board the computer (NEF, RAW, CR2, JPG) either."
I am not sure what you mean by this! Lightroom does not "Open" photo files. It will only 'Open' catalog files- .LRCAT.
Do you mean that Lr cannot 'Import' any of these 'old' files? Lr from version 1.0 can import jpgs!

So I think- "to run right" (1). Update the the 'very latest' v6.12 (2) Check the destination folders for the Import.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back