• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Reinstall Lightroom and Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

krypton

Ok, I fell victim to the new Windows update and had to reinstall the entier OS wiping my hard drive... all bad and ugly. The good news is all of my lightroom catalog, preferances, data and presets are backed up to a separate hard drive....all good.
My question is then. How do I restablish those broken locations and in port backup data into the fresh instsll. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Charlie

You should never need to reformat your Primary drive to install a Windows update. However since you did, Here's what you need to do to get LR right.
  • Download and install the latest version of LR for your license.
  • Copy your backed up LR catalog file to the location that you want it to be maintained
  • Copy the folder structure and master image copies to the location that they were on the old system. Usually this is the Windows Pictures folder but it does not have to be so.
  • Double click on the newly restored Lightroom Catalog file to open Lightroom.
  • If you see that your master images are in the catalog but the path is not correct,
    • right click on the top level folder in the folder panel and choose "Update Folder Location..." from the dropdown menu.
    • In the system dialog that opens, navigate and choose the location where the folder now resides.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. The windows issue started back in June with the first update and then the second update only made it worse. After hours on the phone with Microsoft engineers they flet a fresh install was necessary. Good for me all my data was on seveal external hard drives. Thank you so much for helping me sort through this Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back