• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Redefining Workflow

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version
LR Classic CC & mobile
Operating System
  1. macOS 11.0 Big Sur
I tried a new workflow due to the fact that the pandemic has changed the way I shoot but it’s the wrong way, so need a suggestion. It’s as follows:

1) I import all photos onto my Mac and make a back up onto my external drive, which is where all my photos live, eventually.
2) I create a collection called, “working photos” And I sync it to LR mobile.
3) I try to do my edits from my iPad from the comfort of my living room and not sit behind a desk, but argh!! These are previews, not the original RAW files.

Is anyone currently backing up their photos onto external drives and editing on iPad? If so, can you share your process please?

thanks,
juliette

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Here’s the workflow that I have adopted since I retired my MBP in favor of an iPadPro:
1: I import to Lightroom on my iPadPro from the camera card.
2: I cull and do light edits on the iPad Pro.
3: I let the Lightroom Cloud sync full size image files (RAW NEFs) back to my Lightroom Classic on the iMac.
4: I finish processing on the iMac and resume my normal workflow there.

I let TimeMachine do all of my system backups of all of my critical user data onto an EHD.

If you sync FROM LrC to the cloud, you get proxy image files in the cloud and these are suitable for editing on any screen size as the long edge is around 2580 pixels.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
"but argh!! These are previews, not the original RAW files."
Yes. They are proxy Smart Previews with a long edge dimension of 2560 pixels.
You might find they are quite acceptable for most edit functions, with the exception of Noise and Sharpening.
One benefit is that they do not occupy any space whatsoever of your Cloud allocation.

"back up onto my external drive, which is where all my photos live, eventually."
If Lightroom-Classic is to be your 'Master Controller' of your image library then you have to consider that the Cloud is NOT a Backup of these files, and you still require the local files available to LrC, AS WELL AS backups of the files to other drives.

My workflow is Lightroom-Classic based. (Accept that the mobile synced files are proxies)
That of Cletus is Lightroom-mobile (Cloud) based.

COMPARE LR & LR-CLASSIC (Lr Queen)
It is your decision to decide- :)
! WHICH LIGHTROOM IS RIGHT FOR YOU

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Thanks for the comments and feedback. My workflow is typically Lightroom-Classic based but the proxy files are in most cases annoyingly difficult to deal with... I do like Cletus' workflow though because he ultimately goes back to the Mac for the more in-depth editing.

I have only two more questions:

1) Cletus, in the workflow below, where are your images actually stored? On your HD or EHD?
2) If I want to remove the proxy images from all collections and start over, what's the best way to get my RAW files into LR cloud with all flags/ratings, etc.?
Here’s the workflow that I have adopted since I retired my MBP in favor of an iPadPro:
1: I import to Lightroom on my iPadPro from the camera card.
2: I cull and do light edits on the iPad Pro.
3: I let the Lightroom Cloud sync full size image files (RAW NEFs) back to my Lightroom Classic on the iMac.
4: I finish processing on the iMac and resume my normal workflow there.

I let TimeMachine do all of my system backups of all of my critical user data onto an EHD.

If you sync FROM LrC to the cloud, you get proxy image files in the cloud and these are suitable for editing on any screen size as the long edge is around 2580 pixels.

DaveMCO

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Thanks for the comments and feedback. My workflow is typically Lightroom-Classic based but the proxy files are in most cases annoyingly difficult to deal with... I do like Cletus' workflow though because he ultimately goes back to the Mac for the more in-depth editing.

1) Cletus, in the workflow below, where are your images actually stored? On your HD or EHD?
2) If I want to remove the proxy images from all collections and start over, what's the best way to get my RAW files into LR cloud with all flags/ratings, etc.?
Juliette:

I have the 1TB plan that includes LRC, LR, and LR Mobile.

i do something similar to you But slightly different.

I import all images via my iPad. They then sync with the cloud in full res. Those images are then pushed by the cloud down into LRC as full res and I then move them into my appropriate file structure on my SSD using LRC. after the images are moved into my file structure, they remain synced. now you have the best of all worlds IMO: full res in the cloud and full images in your folder structure on your SSD and they are all synced.

this videos does a good job explaining it:

hope that helps. I now do virtually 100% of my work on my iPad and everything just syncs up. I am waiting on the day, likely several years, for full feature Parity between LRC and LRM as well as PS and PS Mobile. However, as it is now most of my work can be accomplished on the 12.9” iPad Pro.

PS: there is a way to also load full res images on a Mac from LRC up to the cloud. It’s a bit of a hack— but it can be done and I have done it personally and it worked for me.

Last edited:
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Juliette:

I have the 1TB plan that includes LRC, LR, and LR Mobile.

i do something similar to you But slightly different.

I import all images via my iPad. They then sync with the cloud in full res. Those images are then pushed by the cloud down into LRC as full res and I then move them into my appropriate file structure on my SSD using LRC. after the images are moved into my file structure, they remain synced. now you have the best of all worlds IMO: full res in the cloud and full images in your folder structure on your SSD and they are all synced.

this videos does a good job explaining it:

hope that helps. I now do virtually 100% of my work on my iPad and everything just syncs up. I am waiting on the day, likely several years, for full feature Parity between LRC and LRM as well as PS and PS Mobile. However, as it is now most of my work can be accomplished on the 12.9” iPad Pro.

PS: there is a way to also load full res images on a Mac from LRC up to the cloud. It’s a bit of a hack— but it can be done and I have done it personally and it worked for me.

Hi Dave, thank you SO much for this, as you helped me fine tune my process and that last part is EXACTLY what I needed! I have all these images already culled, you see... and so now I need to reverse the process and get those into LR.

THANK YOU! I will try this and report back in case others need to do the same.

DaveMCO

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Dave, thank you SO much for this, as you helped me fine tune my process and that last part is EXACTLY what I needed! I have all these images already culled, you see... and so now I need to reverse the process and get those into LR.

THANK YOU! I will try this and report back in case others need to do the same.
You are more than welcome......

one note: on the second hack (LRC full res load to LR via drag and drop on a Mac... second video), the only issue that I have had is large tif files (over 100mb)..... LRC does from time to time throw error messages on these files and it’s a bit of a pain to clear the error message — the file actually seems to load into LR but LRC “pretends” to hang. If you have a bunch of large tifs that you want to load to LR from LRC, do step into that process slowly.... load two or three and see how it goes before trying to load 50 of them.

the “large file glitch” is the only glitch that I found With this “hack”.......

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service

If I start with Lightroom Cloudy, full size images gets stored both in the cloud and in LrC on my iMac. If I only have full size images in LrC, then LrC will sync proxies to the cloud. If I want to store full size images in the cloud, then I need to import these full-size images using Lightroom (Cloudy). Lightroom Cloudy will replace proxies with the full size file.

You will need the larger 1TB photography plan to manage more than 20GB of full size images in the cloud.