Redating photographs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickHorton

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
In transferring photographs around I have found that Lightroom 6 has re-dated them to the date of the move. Is there anyway that I can rediscover the original date of capture.

Where are you looking for the "capture date" of the images that you have moved around? Can you post a screenshot showing the new "capture date"?

Typically, Lightroom does not change capture dates, but it can give the appearance of doing so, which usually happens when the image is a derivative file (such as a jpeg) which was created by a previous export that did not include metadata during the export. As such the original image capture date is not included in the derivative file, so if the derivative is added back to the LR catalog the file creation date (i.e. the time of export) is recorded in the "Capture Date" field in the metadata panel when using the Default metadata display. Look at the "EXIF" metadata display, however, and you would see the "Date Time Original" (which Lightroom records as the original capture date/time) is blank, i.e. the derivative image has no genuine capture date/time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back