Recurring error - "Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Ferguson

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hello,

I know this has been "solved" countless times here but the problem keeps reoccurring for me and it's driving me crazy. I've deleted the "Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata" file and restart and everything works fine....for a few days or a week. Then the error comes back with a vengeance.

My set up is:
Windows 10
8GB RAM
Two interanl HD's
Catalog and Preview cache in same folder

The one thing that might be different than the typical user is that I store my LR folder on the local instance of Google Drive. When you have the Google Drive app installed it keeps a local folder on your PC in sync with your Google Drive folder in the cloud. My photography folder is on this folder on my PC that is kept in sync with the cloud version of it. This is my "disaster recovery" solution in case my HD fails.

My lingering doubt is that there is a conflict between the Google Drive app and Lightroom and they are both trying to put a "lock" on a folder or file causing the error. No evidence to support this, just grasping at straws.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Yes, there is a good chance that Google Drive is trying to sync a file in the Previews folder when LR wants it. There is no reason to sync or back up the Previews folder as these are easily regenerated from the catalog adjustments and the master original. The only thing that needs to be backed up is the catalog file. LR has it own backup process that makes a local copy of the catalog file. My suggestion is to use that AND this backup file can be in a folder in the Google drive.
For now, move the LR folder outside of the Google drive folder and see if this does not clear up your problem. If you want to use the Google drive for cloud backup, then do it as I suggested or when LR is closed, simply make a copy of your catalog file to the Google Drive folder.
How are you backing up your master image files that LR is referencing in the LR Catalog file?

Hello,

I know this has been "solved" countless times here but the problem keeps reoccurring for me and it's driving me crazy. I've deleted the "Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata" file and restart and everything works fine....for a few days or a week. Then the error comes back with a vengeance.

My set up is:
Windows 10
8GB RAM
Two interanl HD's
Catalog and Preview cache in same folder

The one thing that might be different than the typical user is that I store my LR folder on the local instance of Google Drive. When you have the Google Drive app installed it keeps a local folder on your PC in sync with your Google Drive folder in the cloud. My photography folder is on this folder on my PC that is kept in sync with the cloud version of it. This is my "disaster recovery" solution in case my HD fails.

My lingering doubt is that there is a conflict between the Google Drive app and Lightroom and they are both trying to put a "lock" on a folder or file causing the error. No evidence to support this, just grasping at straws.

Thanks!
Excuse me for being illiterate....but where do you find the lrdata file?

Excuse me for being illiterate....but where do you find the lrdata file?

It's right next to your catalog file. If you're not sure where that is go to Edit>Catalog settings, open the General tab and you will see the name and location of the catalog listed. Use Windows Explorer to browse to that location, and next to the "yourcatalogname.lrcat" will be the "yourcatalogname Previews.lrdata" sub-folder. If we can help with any further information, just let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back