• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Recovering work done on removed photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leuallen

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Some how I accidently removed a folder of completed photos. The photos were there and then they were gone. I could not find them. After much contemplation I realized the error and imported the photos and folder back into my catalog. Of course all of the three day work I had done on the photos was gone. Can I get the work back? I have a backup from the day before the folder was deleted which contains the missing work. Is this a merge operation. Do I merge the day before catalog with the catalog with removed/restored folder (current catalog). Will I end up with the same catalog but with the work restored on the remove/restored folder?

The catalog that has the removed folder had a new folder of imported files added before the folder was removed. Will that folders work still exist, I know the files will still be on the disk but will the culling (rejected only) I have done still be there . It is a large folder of 2400 files so I'd rather not have to re-cull.

Larry

You shouldn't have imported the resored photos. This has erased all develop settings and metadata related to theses photos in the catalog. Instead you should have just reored the photos files. If they were copied in the same folder the were before, LrC would have find them without any other action.

If I understand correctly, you have a backup of the catalog done the before, but you have some new import since then that are not in this backup.
What you can do is :
  1. - From your current catalog, select all newly imported images (that are not in the backup) and export them "as a catalog")
  2. - Close your current catalog, restore your backup catalog and open it as your current catalog. It should contain all the work done before removing the files.
  3. - Use the "File>Import from catalog" to import the files end the work from the catalog created at step 1. This shoud add the files imported since the removing, as well as the work you've done on them.

Actually, if the folder was removed from Lightroom, then that would have also removed the settings from the catalog. The only option is using a catalog backup, if that backup was made after the images were edited. If no such backup exists, then the only option is to import again and edit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back