Recovering LR catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear Carlson

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
My hard drive crashed recently. For reasons that aren't clear to me, my previous hard drive had both C: and D: partitions; the latter is where I stored all my personal documents, pictures, etc. To make better use of the space, the new drive has only one C: partition. When I reinstalled LR, I can no longer find old catalogs. How can I locate them and bring them back into LR 5.7?

BTW I will probably upgrade to LR 6 shortly. Should I wait on the missing catalogs until then?

Your catalog and your images were on the crashed disk, almost certainly on the D: partition. To get them back you will have to get them from a backup...

I had a backup of my previous drive, so all of my pictures are back on the new drive, including old backups of my LR catalog. The pictures are all there - but they don't show up in LR anymore

I had a backup of my previous drive, so all of my pictures are back on the new drive, including old backups of my LR catalog. The pictures are all there - but they don't show up in LR anymore

When you fired up Lightroom, it probably created a brand new (empty) catalog because it couldn't find an existing catalog. You have to get the most recent backup catalog and use that instead of the new catalog file.

Sounds like you may have it already but if not File, Open Catalog, browse for where it was. Find the catalog first so it opens, do not worry if you can't see images, just so you can see placeholders for them.

If the IMAGES are also now on a different disk letter, you will need to change. I think the sequence goes something like this: Find the disk drive in the folder list, if not shown right click on the top and "Show parent folder" to eventually get to the drive letter. Right click and "Update folder location" by browsing to where the photos are now. A whole tree can be "located" at once this way.

If you restored only the catalog and images and not previews, you may find browsing slow as it rebuilds all the previews, or if you like you can select all photos and "build standard previews" and go away for a long time while it builds. This is not necessary, it just speeds up browsing a bit. You can also build for just the last 30 or 90 days or similar.

No, the menu won't be 'Update Folder Location'. Lightroom will show the famous / notorious 'missing folder' question marks, so the menu you will have to use is now called 'Find Missing Folder'.
Sorry, I tried doing it without reproducing a failure, and it shows the "update" available.

Sorry, I tried doing it without reproducing a failure, and it shows the "update" available.

Correct. If Lightroom knows where the folder is, then the menu is called 'Update Folder Location'. If Lightroom can't find the folder, then the menu changes to 'Find Missing Folder'. Apart from that, everything else is the same.

Apart from that, everything else is the same.

Not really....if a folder is missing, the right-click menu only contains "Find Missing Folder", "Remove", and "Show Parent Folder" if the parent folder is not showing. All the other usual menu items are not available.

Not really....if a folder is missing, the right-click menu only contains "Find Missing Folder", "Remove", and "Show Parent Folder" if the parent folder is not showing. All the other usual menu items are not available.

What I meant is everything else in the procedure to (re)connect the folder, not everything else in the submenus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back