• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Recovering color from old, faded slides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce J

Photographer
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Years ago I scanned and processed a large number of old color slides and color negatives. I used a Photoshop plug-in to help with the initial recovery of color for those slides that were faded; I think the plug-in was called Digital ROC (or something like that), and was available from Kodak. I've now come across another batch of scanned slides which need to be processed. The PS plug-in stopped working several versions ago. So, here's the question:

Does anyone know of a similar plug-in for either LR or PS that will help to restore color to faded-slide scans? Or a method of using the old plug-in?

I've just scanned a bunch of slides and negatives but only as small thumbnails. I know I'll have to tackle the colour correction issue at some point.

My Epson scanned has a colour restoration feature but I have not tried that.

One option I will be looking at is using Vuescan. It says it works with Photoshop. It also seems to have profiles for different film types.

Thanks Roelof for the link. I did take a look at it and tried to follow the advice. But, because it was from 2012, it apparently no longer applies. It relies on a 32-bit version of PS, which no longer seems to be part of the package (at least I can't find it on my computer). It did get me thinking though, and I dug up an old CD that had PSE 8 on it. I installed that on my system, and loaded an old copy of the Digital ROC plug-in. It seems to work! Of course, since it's PSE, I can't automate the plug-in with an Action (and a Droplet) like I did previously in PS. Lots of tedious clicking, etc., but it is working. I also tried several other color recovery apps, but none seemed to do the job. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks, Bryon, for the suggestion. I did manage to make my way through a couple thousand scans using a combination of LR, PSE, and Digital ROC. Project is now finished. I hope I don't have to do it again, but if I do, I'll take a closer look at the PS options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back