Recover deleted xmp files and develop settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werner

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hello All

I have had some bad luck with my catalog files. I have a new backup and an older one from december. Somewhere inbetween I synced my folders and lost a few edit setting for some photos that was done in January and February. I have tried recovery software to recover the catalog files inbetween but no luck.

Is there any way I can get the edit settings back for those photos?
Can I somehow extract a .xmp file from lower quality .jpg files that I exported of those photos?
I have tried some extracting software but no luck yet.

I did check write xmp files in the preferences but I am not sure if it was checked during this time.

I thought I might not get a xmp or edit data from a jpg but was hoping of some way to recover the edits that I have done.
Software to recover deleted .xmp's, .lrcat,...anything.
I have tried Data Rescue but it didnt recover the files I was looking for.

...oh and I have tried Preset Ripper. A LR Plugin that copies some jpg settings to selected photos inside LR. Great little app but still not helping me with my photos
Any info would be greatly appreciated

The develop settings are only saved in the catalog, and in the XMP files (if you created/updated them) so you need to find a copy from the right time of one or the other.

The JPG files are just that, (usually) reduced size images, there is no develop information in them. You can extract those images to see what the developed image looked like, but not the actual develop instructions. Also, the preview is only as current as.. well, as it is. The previews are not "in" the catalog and not part of what most people backed up (you may be backing them up though). Also, they are not always built, so you may or may not have a preview from the time frame involved even if your preview directory was backed up at that point in time.

Lightroom backups (what it does, itself) backup the catalog and does not erase older versions. If you were letting lightroom backup, have you found those backups to see their dates? Asking here about the automatic ones, not ones you might be doing of all your data (or maybe that is what you meant).

thansk a lot!

is there anyone who knows why, when I use Preset Ripper in Lightroom, I get the following error: "AN INTERNAL ERROR HAS OCCURED: ASSERTION FAILED!" ?
how can i fix this?

thanks again! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back