• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Recover Catalogue from Time Machine backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Page

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I have Time machine running on my i27Mac. A couple of evenings ago I shut down Lightroom but did not back it up, as the last was only a day or so back. I then left the computer to have its well earned sleep. Next morning when LR opened it opened an old catalogue. I then set about trying to find the current but could not. I would like to go back to Time Machine for the time when I was about to shut down and find the catalogue and restore LR at that point, not my entire computer. How do I do this please?

Hi Robin

Open Finder, then look at the Time Machine backups (which are listed by date).
Find the date you want, then 'Macintosh HD - Data' > Users > Robin > ...(to the path of your catalog)
It doesn't sound right that the current catalog disappeared, like it had been deleted.

Thanks for prompt reply Paul . It certainly does not sound right that the catalogue disappeared and, as you know, to delete it would take positive steps, not just closing and ejecting/turning off my external RAID drive which LR will not allow until LR has shut down. I'll now do what you suggest. Whilst I am quite alarmed I do have a very recent Carbon Copy backup, and the Time Machine, and have all images downloaded confirmed on the RAID mirror drive but with a catalogue of 120,000 images it is raising my blood pressure. I'll be back at some stage, smiling I hope. Robin

Where to from here please Paul? I am a bit reluctant to go playing around with permissions in the middle of a Time Machine backup file. Besides I am unfamiliar with that other than using info in Finder. R
R
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 5.36.08 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 5.36.08 pm.jpg

Paul, I found a near enough LR backup on my working drive so do not need to get the slightly later Time Machine version. Must look ahead though and make sure I know how to recover in the future. Thanks for your help.
Robin

Robin,
You cannot open a Lightroom catalog directly from a Time Machine backup, because Lightroom has no permissions to access a backup volume. What you need to do is restore your catalog with a backup. That means you must copy the backup catalog from the backup volume and place it in your current catalog folder. The best way to do this is not by using the Finder, but by using Time Machine. Time Machine has a very sophisticated way of storing backups and it knows best how to deal with them. Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files

You need to open TimeMachine and navigate to the Lightroom folder there. Find the date of the backup that you want and your catalog file and restore from TimeMachine. You cannot navigate into the backup folder using Finder since these files are compressed versions by TimeMachine when created.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to open TimeMachine and navigate to the Lightroom folder there. Find the date of the backup that you want and your catalog file and restore from TimeMachine. You cannot navigate into the backup folder using Finder since these files are compressed versions by TimeMachine when created.
AFAIK, Time Machine backups are not compressed, they can be encrypted however. That depends on the settings. You can definitely use the Finder to copy something from a Time Machine backup to your main disk (I have done that many times), but it's much better to use Time Machine to do that. The reason why you cannot open a backup catalog directly is not because the backup catalog is compressed, but because Lightroom does not have write permissions to a Time Machine backup volume. That is also what the error dialog says.

AFAIK, Time Machine backups are not compressed, they can be encrypted however. That depends on the settings. You can definitely use the Finder to copy something from a Time Machine backup to your main disk (I have done that many times), but it's much better to use Time Machine to do that. The reason why you cannot open a backup catalog directly is not because the backup catalog is compressed, but because Lightroom does not have write permissions to a Time Machine backup volume. That is also what the error dialog says.

Time machine only backs up incremental changes and a TimeMachine Restore is required to reassemble all of the pieces into a complete file.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time machine only backs up incremental changes and a TimeMachine Restore is required to reassemble all of the pieces into a complete file.
Sorry, but that is simply not true. Yes, Time Machine backs up incrementally, but the backups are in Finder format. I've copied files from a Time Machine backup using the Finder plenty of times, so I know this for a fact. I do agree that it's best to use Time Machine to recover files, but it is not absolutely necessary.

Update: I just tried this with a Lightroom catalog that was backed up by Time Machine and Lightroom opens the catalog just fine after I copied it in the Finder to my internal hard disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back