• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Reconnecting my Photography drive to the Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

charleskinghorn

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
My D drive, named "Photography" and containing all of my photography files, including the Cloud originals, died the other day. I installed a new one and copied the contents from a mirrored portable drive back to the new drive. Lightroom, however, does not recognize it and gives me the message '"Photography" is disconnected . Originals will be accessed through the Cloud.' How can I get Lightroom to recognize this new Photography drive and connect to it without downloading all of the originals?

There are two scenarios that might need resolving.
1. The Volume named Photography was restored under a different name. You need to rename the restored drive to the new name.
2. Lightroom is looking for a Drive D named Photography. Windows assigned a different Drive letter to the volume named “Photography”.

Or your problem could be a combination of the two.

FWIW, Lightroom does not store the originals locally,. All Lightroom originals are stored in the cloud. In the Lightroom app, you have an option to store A COPY locally. And this sound like what you have done. Your solution may be as simple as correcting the copy storage location to the new volume as it is located by Windows.

Since writing my first post above I have gone into my LR Preferences and set the storage location for originals to the same directory on my new drive as on the old. Now I have a box telling me that LR is "Moving Your Photos" and "Checking photo 0 of 80510". Nothing else is happening. It would make sense that LR is checking the originals on my "new" drive against the Cloud, but there has been no movement past "Checking photo 0".

There are two scenarios that might need resolving.
1. The Volume named Photography was restored under a different name. You need to rename the restored drive to the new name.
2. Lightroom is looking for a Drive D named Photography. Windows assigned a different Drive letter to the volume named “Photography”.
The replacement drive has the same name and drive letter as the original. I suspect that Adobe is looking at some additional identification tied to the physical drive of which we are not aware.

Added: I could simply delete all the "originals/copies" and allow Adobe to download them all again. This will take much longer than the day I took copying files from my mirrored backup drive.

I decided that rebooting my system might resolve some issue interfering with LR recognizing my new hard drive. Surprise, surprise, I received the blue screen of death. That has been happening to me on and off for the past few months, and I had already decided to reinstall Windows on my desktop. I was holding off doing so because it is a nasty job (with all my software, about two weeks effort on and off), and my photography hard drive issue seemed to supersede it. I have been having issues with another software package which led to the idea of reinstalling Windows, and my current issue with LR may well tie in with Windows system issues. So, for now, I am putting aside this issue and will report back when I have reinstalled Windows and Lightroom.

That has been happening to me on and off for the past few months, and I had already decided to reinstall Windows on my desktop.
When I was a Windows user, I never had to resort to a reinstall of Windows to get rid of the detritus. Managing the OS was a constant chore to keep the processes running smoothly. Reinstalling Windows never solves the underlying issues with the OS, it only defers them until the Windows detritus builds up again to intolerable levels.

I am now a Mac user and spend very little time "under the hood" and no BSODs.

Have you noticed the reason in the blue screen of deaths? A year ago I was getting them on and off and for most of them the reason was related to memory management. I Googled the reason and ran some memory tests. It turns out I had a bad memory card. After replacing the card no more BSODs. Sometimes they are caused by hardware and reinstalling Windows won't help.

Have you noticed the reason in the blue screen of deaths? A year ago I was getting them on and off and for most of them the reason was related to memory management. I Googled the reason and ran some memory tests. It turns out I had a bad memory card. After replacing the card no more BSODs. Sometimes they are caused by hardware and reinstalling Windows won't help.
A good point, and something I will keep in mind in the future. Mine was a read/write problem going back to this past February. I purchased Photo Mechanic back then to enable me to geotag my photos before I import them into Lightroom (my way of replacing the Map Module in LR Classic). I could only rate and keyword a small number of tif files before PM locked up and I had to reboot. The same thing was happening in Bridge, but it processed more files than PM before locking up. Rating and keywording tif files requires a rewrite of the file as opposed to writing an adjacent xmp file. My system ssd was only 250MB, so I thought it was a workfile size problem and increased the work areas for both programs by putting them on another drive. That helped to some extent. I didn't realize it was a system software issue until I tried PM on my Surface tablet which has an even smaller system ssd; the software worked as it should on the Surface with no issues. At that point I realized that a Windows reinstall was necessary on my desktop but put it off because I was having no other issues at that time and I did my PM work on the Surface. My LR problem with the new D drive forced the reinstall. Both issues have been solved with the reinstall.

When I was a Windows user, I never had to resort to a reinstall of Windows to get rid of the detritus. Managing the OS was a constant chore to keep the processes running smoothly. Reinstalling Windows never solves the underlying issues with the OS, it only defers them until the Windows detritus builds up again to intolerable levels.

I am now a Mac user and spend very little time "under the hood" and no BSODs.
Good points, Cletus. I stick to Windows because it gives me a flexibility in the hardware and software I use that I don't think I would have with a Mac. I rebuilt my PC in 2012, and my i5 CPU from then is still going strong. When I upgraded to the latest version of DxO PhotoLab, I had to change my otherwise-still-adequate video card to a newer one because DxO's DeepPRIME noise reduction feature required a good amount of video RAM. That cost me a little over CAD$500 (includes a new power power supply as the old one didn't have the connectors for the new video card). No need to replace my whole desktop.

The problem with Windows is that there are way too many programmers writing sloppy code which does not clean up after itself (your detritus). When I joined IBM in 1963 16K was a reasonably large machine, but you had to program efficiently or else! Nowadays, shrug!

Which raises a question, how did you avoid having to reinstall Windows occasionally? I'm going to have to work on keeping my system "clean" more than I have in the past. Reinstalling Windows is too painful.

Good points, Cletus. I stick to Windows because it gives me a flexibility in the hardware and software I use that I don't think I would have with a Mac. I rebuilt my PC in 2012, and my i5 CPU from then is still going strong. When I upgraded to the latest version of DxO PhotoLab, I had to change my otherwise-still-adequate video card to a newer one because DxO's DeepPRIME noise reduction feature required a good amount of video RAM. That cost me a little over CAD$500 (includes a new power power supply as the old one didn't have the connectors for the new video card). No need to replace my whole desktop.

The problem with Windows is that there are way too many programmers writing sloppy code which does not clean up after itself (your detritus). When I joined IBM in 1963 16K was a reasonably large machine, but you had to program efficiently or else! Nowadays, shrug!

Which raises a question, how did you avoid having to reinstall Windows occasionally? I'm going to have to work on keeping my system "clean" more than I have in the past. Reinstalling Windows is too painful.

You have it right about sloppy programmers writing sloppy code. I still see memory leaks in Adobe products.

I only installed mostly commercial apps and started a new Windows machine by removing all of the bloat ware. I also spent a lot of time cleaning out the registry. I think it was a mistake on Microsoft’s part to create a huge registry file where any developer could add or remove entries and screw up something else in the process. Apple’s approach to put everything for a program in a pList that isolated the package from all the other app packages is far cleaner and causes fewer problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Cletus, for the information. You're right about Apple's approach, but I have to live with Windows unfortunately. The Windows Registry is another example of bloatware. I try to avoid changing it when I can; although the uninstaller program I use, Revo Uninstaller Pro, does a good job of cleaning it up when I uninstall software. I'll have to hunt around the software world to see if I can find some useful tools to help keep thigs running cleanly.

You're right about Apple's approach, but I have to live with Windows unfortunately.
When I retired 12 years ago, I realized that I was no longer tied to a Windows environment for development software. I use an email app, browser app, Office suite, and Photo processing software and little else. All of these were available in the MacOS environment. So I made the switch. I have not regretted it.

My LR problem with the new D drive forced the reinstall. Both issues have been solved with the reinstall.
I'm glad to hear that everything is working now. I have considered getting PM to add metadata to my scanned images because I encountered problems with LrC hanging after adding metadata to 50-60 images. Since upgrading LrC from V9 to V10 things appear to be better, so I've put PM on the backburner.

Regarding Windows, I've stuck with it because my wife does at lot of genealogy work and some of the software was available for the Mac the last time she got a PC. Maybe I'll switch when it is time for a new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back