• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Recommended ram for running Lightroom mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh1209

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
  2. iOS
I realize for Lightroom classic the minimum recommended ram is 8GB but I can’t seem to find what’s recommending for Lightroom cloud. I’m assuming it’s the same but really can’t find the information.

They do have each application’s system requirements on separate pages, and the RAM requirements are the same: 8GB minimum, 16GB recommended.

Lightroom Classic system requirements:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html
Lightroom requirements:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/system-requirements.html
At least for Lightroom Classic (maybe both), certain aspects of performance such as going from image to image in the Library module should be faster if the application has access to at least 12GB RAM. So although 8GB is the minimum, getting a computer with 16GB or more is going to be better in the long run. Especially if you want to run other applications at the same time (Photoshop, web browser, email…), because they will also need their own RAM.

@Conrad Chavez

The link provides for Windows and Mac. No min provided for Mobile devices; from a practical standpoint, I have found Lr did not run well on my wife's older Stylo with only 4GB of ram; bt works well with 8GB of ram.

Mobile devices do not have dedicated memory called RAM. Instead, they use a part of Storage for processing for each app. Unlike multi threaded multitasking apps I Windows or MacOS, each running mobile app is assigned some amount of storage to hold data, application and processing. The user switches between these assigned storage areas instead of the processor alternately servicing each running ap in turn. The amount of storage that you choose at purchase is a reflection of how you will use the mobile device, how many apps you might add to the device and how much data will be developed during the execution of that app. Lightroom has sone storage reserves as data cache and this is adjustable by the user during execution (clear Cache) If Lightroom were the only app that you installed and ran on the mobile device, then you could purchase a mobile device with the minimum amount of storage. However, if you want a phone, or music which are always present running in a dedicated storage area. Then you need a device with more storage.

@clee01l

Actually, that is sort of true for iOS; and not at all true for Android.
For iOS, Apple hides the available ram, and treats everything for the app as live memory even though it is mostly storage. Most Apple iOS devices have around 4GB of ram. This is largely a legacy of Apple thinking smartphones are single task devices, (they very reluctantly added multi-tasking after losing a lot of market share to Android).

Android on the other hand has dedicated RAM versus Storage, which is a legacy of the core platform which is effectively a derivative of Java. So, my current phone has 8GB of ram and 128gb of storage. You can see the values under the settings -> about phone screen. For Android, the amount of ram, usually plays a large factor in the number of applications you can have running in background before the phone slows down and also how quickly it switches apps. Lr is the only app I have ever used which actually seems to use a fair amount of ram on the phone. To be fair, I use a phone more a phone than anything else; or occasional device to open my remote files on Google Drive, MS OneDrive; or search the net.

@clee01l

Actually, that is sort of true for iOS; and not at all true for Android...

Having always been an iOS user, I assumed this to be the case for all mobile devices. I knew that phone services and music alway run in their own dedicated storage areas on the iPhone. Thanks for pointing this out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just curious about this because it seems like lightroom mobile works just as fast on a base model iPhone as it does a 27 inch iMac. I can’t tell a speck of difference no matter what the ram or device. That’s why I was assuming that ram, if you were going to run that app on a desktop, which some people do ,would really have no relevance.

Obviously Lightroom classic is a whole other animal and even that program does OK with 8 gigabytes of RAM. It obviously works better with 16 or more but it is usable with 8 gigabytes. My daughter has a MacBook Air that she runs Lightroom classic on and that thing is blistering fast which surprises the hell out of me from a base model MacBook Air. These new M1 chips at least in my experience are leaps and bounds ahead of Intel at this point.

Here's the Adobe page for mobile minimum and recommended spec / RAM:
https://helpx.adobe.com/mobile-apps/help/lightroom-mobile-faq.html/#lr_mobile(look at the 'What Platforms and Devices are supported...')
Good find! The interesting thing there is that the system requirements for RAM are listed only under Android…not for iOS. The only iOS system requirement is iOS 13 or later. That can be interpreted to mean that Apple/Adobe don’t think we need to know the exact amount, simply because if a device can run iOS 13, the device has the minimum amount of RAM for the Lightroom app.

That’s probably related to…

…that thing is blistering fast which surprises the hell out of me from a base model MacBook Air. These new M1 chips at least in my experience are leaps and bounds ahead of Intel at this point.
The Adobe system requirements for Mac are probably based more on what Intel needs, and if it’s enough RAM for Intel, it’s no problem for M1. I suspect that the M1 RAM requirements are actually more flexible because the M1 is a direct descendant of A-series iOS Apple Silicon processors and benefiting from the same design, where the exact amount of RAM is less important because of the way the M1 Unified Memory Architecture works.

@Conrad Chavez

Actually the lack of memory requirements is an Apple thing. On iOS, Apple really does not expose the memory available to the app developer.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back