• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Recommended Graphics Card for LR Classic

iwaddo

Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi, I know this is not strictly a LR Classic question but I am struggling to find a list of Graphics Cards from which I might choose to upgrade, there is just too much choice.

Photoshop is using the onboard graphics bit LR Classic isn't, the motherboard is too old.

I do not want to play games, I just want to give both Photoshop and LR Classic a little performance boost.

I do not want to spend money unnecessarily but at the same time I do not have money to waste.

Could anyone please recommend a good value for money card that will be supported by Photoshop and LR Classic.

Thank you for your help.

dkperez

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
This thread is a few months old, but I'm curious what the best choices would be with Lightroom Classic 10 and going forward. It seems to me that there are/will be a lot more things in Lightroom that make use of the graphics card, so does this change the choices? I know my GTX 970 worked well in the last couple minor releases of Lightroom Classic 9, but it's so bad in 10.0 that things are smoother with it off.

AlanHaynes.com

alanhaynes.com
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
For the best hardware for Windows 10 users, visit PugetSystems.com. They make PCs specifically for Lightroom Classic users. See which graphic cards they're using and buy that model. Spoiler alert: their current choice is an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Open Air.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Very good advice. The scariest part of specifying a custom build is trying to decide on the actual graphics card. Puget have the experience.... so good advice.

BTW. I asked them if they would do a build for me but they do not deliver to Ireland.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (but still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
For the best hardware for Windows 10 users, visit PugetSystems.com. They make PCs specifically for Lightroom Classic users. See which graphic cards they're using and buy that model. Spoiler alert: their current choice is an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Open Air.
Unless you must buy a graphics card today, it pays to wait for a bit. Nvidia has announced high end, pricey models of their new 3000 series, with lower-priced models expected to be announced sooner. I believe that AMD is going to announce their "Big Navi" graphics cards next Monday, October 28th.

Phil Burton

iwaddo

So Adobe have admitted there is a bug in Ps 22.0.0 which may or may not solve our Ps program error opening files problem which for now we have worked around by turning off the GPU Acceleration despite Ps turning it on by default. I am hoping the graphics is supported and will work once they fix the bug.

I know this is strictly a Lr forum and discussion but any suggestions for a cheap 'will work' to the current new Ps standards graphics card will be appreciated. My 81-year old father needs it to work, blistering speed or huge future proofing is not required.

Thank you for your help.

AveDalang

Hi....Is the midpoint the $250 mark with something like a RX 5500 XT or GTX 1660, $400 mark for a RTX 2060 Super or AMD RX 5700 XT 8GB? $600 for the RTX 2070 or GTX 1080 (and does supplanting a 5 year old 970 with a 5 year old 1080 appear to be a good thought?)? Until the AMD 6XXX are really out I don't see anything quicker than the 5700 XT there, and $600 is by all accounts past the scope of my opinion about as "mid-range.