Recommendations (or warnings) for PC drive-bay mounted memory card reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
For PC users.

I'm looking for an internal memory card reader (CF, SD, etc) that can be mounted in a standard drive bay. Interested in recommendations for or warnings against. At "reasonable" cost. Needs to support Win 10 64.

Phil Burton

On my windows machines I used them made for typical 3½" drive bays. They are OK and typically costed me 35$ CAN. Some come with different face plate colors you can switch. They have a USB connector. For my Mac pro, I first used one as an external drive but soon got my 30" Dell wide gamut monitor having integrated CF and SD card slots. Lastly, my wife gave me a 3$ china made reader the size of a somewhat bigger USB key and surprisingly, it is twice as fast as the Dell monitor's! So, it is in my camera bag as it can be plugged into almost any computer around. It may be an interesting choice... It sits on top of the drive unit in the photo below.

IMG_2546.JPG

Dennis,

Which brands or models? Or do you remember the website from which you purchased this card reader?

By any chance was the Dell external reader USB 3? It appears that the drive in your photo is USB 2 only.

Phil

It was USB 2. Looking at BestBuy, I found many USB 3 options. I really like the thumb sized ones for their portability. Still around 35$ CAN for the 3½" model.
Denis,

I'm looking for a USB 3-based reader that I can mount in my desktop case. Too many wires already on my desk, snaking over to my desktop tower. Too much clutter on my desk.

Phil

Phil, Best Buy is a store originally from the US. You can also look at NewEgg... If you are near a town and know any computer shop where they have tailored made machines, they can easily recommend AND find one for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back