• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Recommendation for best monitor for photo editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a BenQ monitor that I just bought. It's a 32 inch version and I am really impressed. I moved up from a 24 inch screen and the difference is HUGE!! Literally! Having more windows, side by side, without them getting to the point that I needed a magnifying glass has been a wonderful improvement to my 60+ year old eyes.

iMac 5k 27" or one of the new LG 5K monitors if you have a new MacBook with USC-C TB3 ports.

I have anew BenQ SW320. So far so good, better than my older Mac screens (2014 Mac Book Pro or 2013 ACD)

Tom

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great info! What about bigger screens ?
I’m using my TV in the living room for my desktop display and want to change it with a pro level photo editing screen but also want to watch TV on it . Are there any good options on the market regardless of the price?

Welcome to the forum. Conventional High Definition TV (HDTV). usually does not exceed 1920×1080p. Modern laptop computers use a Hi-DPI or retina configuration providing a much higher resolution (a 15in MBP is 2880x1800 pixels). A 27" iMac has a resolution of 5120 x 2880 pixels. This is often called a 5K display. There are 5K computer displays made by most other name brand monitor manufactures. And Windows is now HiDPI aware so that you can connect a HiDPI display to any computer and get a high definition image. There are also 4K and 5K monitors for broadcast TV.
On the assumption that you get your TV via a cable box. you really do not need a TV capable of receiving over the air broadcasts. Any monitor with an HDMI port will accept your Cable TV signals.

This is a great thread-thank you. Was trying to learn the best settings for a 27"iMac Retina display. There are 14 options from "iMac" to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. What would you suggest for Lightroom use? Ok, anyone answers, after checking "Show profiles for this display only" the options are iMac, iMac Calibrated and iMac Calibrated-2" a bit more limiting. Any suggestions? Thank you-

This is a great thread-thank you. Was trying to learn the best settings for a 27"iMac Retina display. There are 14 options from "iMac" to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. What would you suggest for Lightroom use? Ok, anyone answers, after checking "Show profiles for this display only" the options are iMac, iMac Calibrated and iMac Calibrated-2" a bit more limiting. Any suggestions? Thank you-
I do not own an iMac so can you tell me if the Calibrated option is one that you created or one that came with the monitor? Calibration software usually allows you to name the calibration when the puck is finished.

--Ken

I did not calibrate. That is just one of the three options so i suppose I'd have to calibrate then name. I was just wondering what setting REGB,SRGB ,Adobe works best with LIghtroom .

What would you suggest for Lightroom use? Ok, anyone answers, after checking "Show profiles for this display only" the options are iMac, iMac Calibrated and iMac Calibrated-2"
Lightroom uses ProPhotoRGB for a working color profile. Apple's current displays can display a larger envelop than ProPhotoRGB. Set the display to "Display P3" to get the most colors that your display can produce. In terms of the largest gamut available , " Display P3" is the largest, Some monitors can approach "wide-gamut RGB" , Next in area covered would be ProPhotoRGB, then Adobe RGB, then the smallest envelop sRGB.

Your destination media should determine at the color profile used for the files exported.

Apple's current displays can display a larger envelop than ProPhotoRGB
Huh? I assume you mean can't. There is no display in the world that can show all the colors of ProPhotoRGB and there never will be, because ProPhotoRGB even has some colors outside of the human vision. That doesn't really matter however, because your camera can't produce these colors either.

I did not calibrate. That is just one of the three options so i suppose I'd have to calibrate then name. I was just wondering what setting REGB,SRGB ,Adobe works best with LIghtroom .

The good news is you have a wonderful wide gamut monitor for editing and viewing you images in Lightroom. So don't artificially limit your self.

For editing and viewing in Lightroom you should always calibrate any monitor to it's native gamut. Setting it to anything else is simply restricting what you can see on the monitor. There are only few specific use cases where you might want to do otherwise.

With a correctly calibrated monitor the color management system (CMS) built in to the OS will seamlessly handle all the color translations necessary including if and when want to export to be viewed on the WEB. This is the point where you want to export the image(s) in the sRGB colorspace for optimal viewing by the millions of mostly uncalibrated displays.

-louie

I think the more recent Dell UltraSharp monitors are worth a look. They offer very decent quality/value.
Re: 4K, one thing to keep in mind is that your eye can't resolve the difference beyond a specific distance from the screen, depending on the size of the screen, and your eye. For a 27" screen, that range is 2-3 feet of viewing distance--again, depending on your eyes. If you happen to live near a MicroCenter, they often have a great selection of display models of the same size but different resolutions (also quite decent prices, if you find one you like!). For my eyes, I didn't see a difference between the QHD and 4K on two Dell 27" ultrasharp monitors, side-by-side, with the notable exception of the price tags. I do think 2560x1440 would be a very nice addition to your existing monitor. The 16:10 aspect ratio of your current monitor doesn't seem to be popular any more, which is too bad. It's really nice for editing, where you have tools around an image of a different aspect ratio. I think that's why you're seeing monitors that are wider but not taller.

I don't print a lot
A related question. I have a ASUS ProArt and Epson XP-15000 Printer. I'm very happy with this setup since my prints represent what I see on the monitor. Is there a consideration of a better monitor which shows more color than a printer can reproduce or is that what Soft Proofing covers? I guess this also talks to what the monitor shows and what technology you will exhibit on.

A related question. I have a ASUS ProArt and Epson XP-15000 Printer. I'm very happy with this setup since my prints represent what I see on the monitor. Is there a consideration of a better monitor which shows more color than a printer can reproduce or is that what Soft Proofing covers? I guess this also talks to what the monitor shows and what technology you will exhibit on.
At least in theory a wide monitor plus soft proofing gives you more ability to see what a printer can print if the printer can render colors outside the sRGB gamut. But most printers and soft proofing is pretty far from perfect and I would think this would mostly be lost in the details. Since a printed page is viewed by reflected light, and a screen by projected light, they are inherently different. But yes, a wide monitor has more ability to display soft proofing than a narrow.

my photos are mostly displayed on my monitor, my HD TV, and other friend's monitors via the web. I don't print a lot
It took me a day to refine my thought. It seems to me that there is a correlation between the quality of the monitor needed and how you will present your pictures. For example, for the OP, it sounds like the lowest common denominator here is presenting on the web. In mind it's printing.

I'm reminded of the early days of radio where engineers would do a final mix of a song based on how it sounded on a single typical speaker found in an automobile. It didn't matter how good it sounded from the actual studio recording but what the audience was using to listen to it.

I've also heard rumors about people with Retina displays being disappointed with comparative prints.

Is there an issue here of diminishing returns on monitor quality based on chosen presentation medium?

It took me a day to refine my thought. It seems to me that there is a correlation between the quality of the monitor needed and how you will present your pictures. For example, for the OP, it sounds like the lowest common denominator here is presenting on the web. In mind it's printing.

I'm reminded of the early days of radio where engineers would do a final mix of a song based on how it sounded on a single typical speaker found in an automobile. It didn't matter how good it sounded from the actual studio recording but what the audience was using to listen to it.

I've also heard rumors about people with Retina displays being disappointed with comparative prints.

Is there an issue here of diminishing returns on monitor quality based on chosen presentation medium?
I am reminded of the words, "the more I learn the less I know". It is a matter of personal expectations and understanding the limits of display medium. What is important to you and how much effort do you want to put into attempting to get the results that you wish to achieve? I appreciate a good monitor screen and a good print, but I am also aware that much of the world looks at images on their phones for maybe a few seconds at most. I can control how my images should look, but I cannot control how others view them, so I try not to drive myself crazy about it.

Good luck,

--Ken

I have two Dell Ultra Sharp monitors, an older 24" and a year-old 27". Both IPS panels have AdobeRGB on board and can be calibrated. The 24" has held up for 10 years now, so I really have gotten a good value for my money.

What is important to you and how much effort do you want to put into attempting to get the results that you wish to achieve?
One thing I've learned but still refuse to readily accept is this: There is no "right".

I have taken runs at this variously with white balance as well as color calibration with MacBeth charts. Every attempt to say "ok, I may like what it looks like, but is it correct, is it accurate" gets met with a lot of very scientific and I am sure well reasons idea why my question is not meaningful. That is is inadequately constrained.

Starting in physics, then engineering and math, I have trouble accepting there is no objective "accurate" answer.

But a lot of very smart people have gotten me to the point that I do really believe that:

- Find something you like the looks of,
- Validate it by showing a few others (some photographers and some not) who will give you honest opinions

Loop back if your friends say "yuck". Then move on.

Paul, just ordered XP - 15000 from B&H. I have LR standalone last ver. 6.14. Will I be able to see Epson generic paper profiles under other and use LR for printing not printer mang with LR6.14 and this Epson printer ? Curious if you used this printer with LR 6.14 and were able to print this way in LR with it ?
Guess the good news is though I can just upgrade to the lastest LR Classic ver. and be able to see them all under spool color by clicking other and use LR to print control color like I did on my old Epson 1400. That baby lasted about 10 years and power plant just went out on me. LOL Thanks .
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back