Status
Not open for further replies.

johngpt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
This week I upgraded to Lr 6.8.
When I closed and backed up the catalog to my external drive, I saw a warning box which said, "Catalog size larger than 4GB" "Please use 3rd party utility such as 7-Zip or StuffitExpander to extract your catalog backup."

I googled and found the Adobe page speaking to this.

Extracting compressed Lightroom catalog backups larger than 4 GB on Mac

Does anyone here have a recommendation regarding which utility app might be preferred?
On my macbookpro I am running OS 10.11.6 El Capitan.

I have not had any problems which cause me to need to use an extraction app (so far) but I like to be prepared.

Thank you for your time,

Before you start worrying about an extraction app, do check out the actual size of your catalog. There's a bug in 6.8 which issues that message on virtually every catalog (on Mac) when it's backed up, no matter how big or small it is. Assuming your catalog is actually smaller than that 4gb limit, it's safe to just check the "Don't Show Again" option on that warning.

I like StuffIt Expander. Couldn't be easier - download from the app store, launch the app, drop the zip on the icon, done. Jim's right though, most people won't need it.

Thank you folks.
Jim, you are correct. When I look at the Lightroom Catalog.lrcat file in my Pictures folder, it is only 1.97 G.
Victoria, I shall keep StuffitExpander in mind.

Jack, AFAIK the inbuilt app has a problem with files above 4gb in size, hence the message that Lightroom now issues when the catalog file is above that 4gb limit (although because of a bug it issues the message no matter what the size).

I've not had that issue.

My 'thing' is recording choral and orchestral concerts. I record these in Hi Rez (96kHz/24Bit) and the resulting files are around 1Gb per channel per hour. So a 5 channel recording for 1 hour is around 5 Gb. After editing etc, the resulting file is often over 10 Gb. I regularly archive these without an issue (it does take some time though)

I've not had that issue.

My 'thing' is recording choral and orchestral concerts. I record these in Hi Rez (96kHz/24Bit) and the resulting files are around 1Gb per channel per hour. So a 5 channel recording for 1 hour is around 5 Gb. After editing etc, the resulting file is often over 10 Gb. I regularly archive these without an issue (it does take some time though)

But have you tried unarchiving them and did you verify the unarchived result? That is where things apparently go wrong.

I just un-zipped a 12.06Gb archive using the Mac in built utility.(Unzipped size is 16.86Gb)

All files look as expected, load into the correct audio editing app and play as normal.

Well, maybe it's only certain types of files like databases, I don't know. Adobe did not create that warning dialog just for the fun of it, and they didn't release this version on April 1st. The bug is not that the warning dialog exists, the bug is that it's shown to people whose catalog is not that large.

Well, maybe it's only certain types of files like databases, I don't know. Adobe did not create that warning dialog just for the fun of it, and they didn't release this version on April 1st. The bug is not that the warning dialog exists, the bug is that it's shown to people whose catalog is not that large.
Who is to say what really is the bug here. It is certainly a bug that the warning message always pops up no matter the size of the catalog file. But it could also be a bug that the codes does not even check to see if you are on an OS version that even requires a Zip app that can support files greater than 4GB. This 4 GB limit has been around for a long time and was a limit imposed initially by the OS (maybe a 32 bit OS limitation?)

Who is to say what really is the bug here. It is certainly a bug that the warning message always pops up no matter the size of the catalog file. But it could also be a bug that the codes does not even check to see if you are on an OS version that even requires a Zip app that can support files greater than 4GB. This 4 GB limit has been around for a long time and was a limit imposed initially by the OS (maybe a 32 bit OS limitation?)

No, that is not the case. It's part of a new backup strategy in this version. The warning is there because the unzip utility shipping with OSX is an older version and doesn't support 64bit PKZIP extensions. What I understand is that the Mac version of Lightroom 6 didn't actually zip the backup if the catalog was larger than 4 GB. Now it does.

Last edited:
Yes, that could also be the case. However, my catalog is larger than 4 GB, so I should have seen this warning a long time ago if it's an old warning. I didn't see it until this release. Unless the warning is so old, that Adobe meant to remove it when my catalog was still smaller than 4 GB, but didn't really remove it, just disabled it.
Since we are speculating... LR backups were not zipped before LR6.0. So presumably LR6.0 or some later LR6.x was when the code got put in. The built in zip function has existed in Windows since Win7 and in OS X since at least 10.6. Perhaps these were not 64 bit functions initially, but by MacOS 10.12 they can handle files greater than 4GBs. In any event, by LR6.8 the error routine that should be checking a) files size and/or b) OS version either got broken or was poorly implemented and certainly poorly tested.

Since we are speculating... LR backups were not zipped before LR6.0. So presumably LR6.0 or some later LR6.x was when the code got put in. The built in zip function has existed in Windows since Win7 and in OS X since at least 10.6. Perhaps these were not 64 bit functions initially, but by MacOS 10.12 they can handle files greater than 4GBs. In any event, by LR6.8 the error routine that should be checking a) files size and/or b) OS version either got broken or was poorly implemented and certainly poorly tested.

I'm not speculating, you answered my reaction before I edited it. I edited it to give you the information as I got it from Adobe. Maybe their information about the latest unzip utility in MacOS X 10.12 is not correct, that I can't tell.

So I understand, there is no issue with the backup and the only potential problem is that if you need to use your backup and if it's over 4gb (maybe) you need a third party unzip program (possibly)?

So I understand, there is no issue with the backup and the only potential problem is that if you need to use your backup and if it's over 4gb (maybe) you need a third party unzip program (possibly)?

Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back