• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Recommend a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldwizard1

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
latest (subscription)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I handle all of the "technical" computer stuff for my friend who is a semi-professional. (He gets paid for his work, but he never seems to break even, especially after destroying one of his Nikon cameras last year !)

He working on about a 10 year old PC that is running Windows 7 so it is time to "bite the bullet" and go to Windows 10. I am 90% sure we will not be able to find drivers for the video card (HP "brand", AMD GPU), so we need a new card. I would prefer to stay with and AMD GPU (better personal experience keeping driver up to date than Nvidia) He does have a 4K monitor (3860x2160?) with DisplayPort so that is a requirement.

There are so many different cards out there with so many different GPUs, size and type of RAM that my head is spinning. We are looking for something reliable and reasonably priced and obviously compatible with LR.

I handle all of the "technical" computer stuff for my friend who is a semi-professional. (He gets paid for his work, but he never seems to break even, especially after destroying one of his Nikon cameras last year !)

He working on about a 10 year old PC that is running Windows 7 so it is time to "bite the bullet" and go to Windows 10. I am 90% sure we will not be able to find drivers for the video card (HP "brand", AMD GPU), so we need a new card. I would prefer to stay with and AMD GPU (better personal experience keeping driver up to date than Nvidia) He does have a 4K monitor (3860x2160?) with DisplayPort so that is a requirement.

There are so many different cards out there with so many different GPUs, size and type of RAM that my head is spinning. We are looking for something reliable and reasonably priced and obviously compatible with LR.
For a 10 year old PC, maybe it's just better to bite a "larger caliber" bullet and get a whole new machine. If you really know how, you can still get a free upgrade to Windows 10, if. A 10 year old PC may not have enough processing power to create all those bits for a 4K display.

It goes without saying that your friend should get a 64-bit PC for Lightroom compatibility.

Phil

A 10 year old PC may not have enough processing power to create all those bits for a 4K display.
He has been running it for 10 years with a 4K display and is currently running Windows 7 64-bit. The only issue is a Windows 10 driver that HP does not offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back