Not open for further replies.

craig_k

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Operating System: windows 10 home 64 bit
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): 6.13

Over the last week I have updated and or rebuilt 3 backup contained system exd's. my very first one, S was only able to complete 1 backup after the first opening. Afterwards 4 tries, it has to be closed with task manager. Because the other copies to ehd's didn't experience any negative issue during the copying the LR folder over to the backup exd, they all are working normally as expected. I am going to say I believe the LR folder during copy from working drive to ehd S has an issue that prevents successful closure and backups.
My thought is to just delete that LR folder on problematic S drive and recopy LR to it again from my main working ehd like I did to the others that are trouble free.
I did a crystaldisk scan on this S and it shows to be in good shape, no outstanding issues, it was reformatted and re-initialized, before I did the rebuild copy LR and top level folder to it. that is my reasoning for thinking the LR folder during copy had an undesirable issue of some kind.

Notes on this drive say first open and close that backup took 45 minutes when 4- 8mins is the norm. so I re-opened after that close thinking all that time took for all the previews of 118K images in catalog.. I ran the optimize feature only thinking that would help but 2 minuates in it get "error reading catalog file". my gpu in preferences is unchecked off. 4th attempt to backup 45 minutes into backup, the green progress bar is stuck on 1/8" into whole bar and its still checking integrity, then after the 45 minutes, it goes to copy catalog, then optimize, and 4 mins into optimize, gets error reading catalog file and need to quit.
Your input? thank you for your time.

Last edited:
This does have the appearance of a hardware fault. Maybe the connector block is poor? Lack of power? Recent W10 updates do include a fix for a USB error under certain conditions with multiple USB drives connected.

I assume you have the latest LR 6 ie 6.13.

Thank you for the input LRList...6.13 version yessir

LRList....it appears I have lr v 6.13 in my eyes?

Attachments

• lr13.v .PNG
    lr13.v .PNG
    3 KB · Views: 263
He's not talking about what your Lightroom version actually is.....he's asking that you update your forum profile, as it currently states that you're running 6.0.

on this new reformatted, a G-Technology 8TB drive that's 95% empty, S drive, today I deleted my seemingly problematic previously copied LR folder from my main working drive G a week back. Before copying again today I ran an error check, which read back no errors and analyze disk, which showed 0 issues. Today, the newly copied from G to S LR folder once again opened fine and and backed up successfully the first time in a 35 min window. I have successfully copied this same folder this week to 3 other ehds along with my top level folder and have had 100% problem free-no issues anywhere results.
The 2nd open-close w\backup produced : error- check permissions. I retry a backup and get error- reading a catalog file, needs to shutdown. It restarts and fixes immediately the issue, but on close and backup gets same mentioned error- when reading a catalog file and needs to quit. re-open, go to file and select optimize where it gets an error reading catalog file and needs to quit about 1 min in.
here is a screenshot of my "permissions" they are the same for every drive, so why would this 8tb drive be any different? I don't have any "Permissions" conflicts with any other of my ehd up to 5 tb and the 5tb are my main ones I use everyday.
On every other ehd I have with a contained system , since updating to 6.13 my backup times has avg'd 4-5 minutes.
Awaiting some definitive direction with this complaint, thank you for your time.

Attachments

• S 2nd backup notice.JPG
    S 2nd backup notice.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 238
  • S-3rd error backup.JPG
    S-3rd error backup.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 272
  • s-4th reopen notice.JPG
    s-4th reopen notice.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 220
  • permissions.JPG
    permissions.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
1 day after above post, considering that the g-tech 8tb S: ehd could be problematic, I got out another properly formatted new g-tech 8 tb ehd, and copied my LR folder off my main working G: ehd same as i've done successfully now to 3 others that are 4 and 5 TB and perform flawlessly. the copy of LR folder of G to S an 8tb drive produced the dilemma described above. The copy of LR from G to new 8tb T, and the copying of only 2017 folder about 276GB from my top level folder, about 2.8TB, as a test to see if T is going to work without any issue resulted in pretty much the same issues as described above. LR opened on T: took 37 minutes to move off checking integrity forward to compress backup, copy compressed backup, optimize catalog and 1 minute into optimize gets an error reading a catalog file and needs to quit, will attempt to diagnose problem on next startup.
I restart LR and get previously closed in an inconsistent state, last shutdown was premature due to problem reading catalog, LR must now check catalog before preceding, so it goes into integrity check and w\I 15 seconds opens LR catalog. I close it, where it immediately moves through processes without any long delay but while in optimize phase inside of 2 mins after backup began, gets encountered error reading a catalog file again.
One item to note is that on this T drive, I did not get the 1 time notice box pertaining to folders permissions on this drive like on S.
It appears to me that any of my ehds up to 5 TB will work without any undesirable issue but the 8 tb are an issue as these are new G-Tech drives with not very much data on them at all .... I'd appreciate an informed response or input with this particular, undesirable catalog issue I am having with these 8 TB drives and the LR backup being a non-performance-problematic event. My backup path for each ehd is correct. I again, thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back