• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module Re-order presets in Develop mode removed in V11??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMilton

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic V11
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I thought it was possible to re-order the presets in the left hand column when in Develop mode, or am I imagining it?
Now with the upgrade to v11 the presets are in a different and fixed order so mine are no longer conveniently placed.
Maybe I have just forgotten how to do it, but I can't find how to do it now. I know how to hide presets I don't use, that's not the issue here

Preset are and always have been sorted alphanumerically. You can group them into groups but within the group the presets are sorted alphanumerically by name.
I have a group called Favorites (I don't remember if I created the group or if Lightroom did. All of my frequently used presets are in this group.

It wasn't really possible to re-order the preset groups on older versions, apart from some minor tweaking using alphanumeric leading characters of user-created preset groups.....but the order was always Adobe presets first, followed by user created or installed preset groups.

With LR11, however, that order has been reversed (which I personally welcome). So now the order appears to:

Favorites
User Presets
Other user created or installed preset groups (though the order rules for these is a bit of a mystery)
Adobe premium presets
Adobe standard presets
Adobe classic presets.

OK, sorry, I hadn't explained it fully first time. I had created my own groups of presets and had them at the bottom of the list of groups, where I could reach them with very little mouse movement. I thought I was able to change the order of the groups, but clearly not. Now, as you say Jim, my presets are put at the top (which will increase my RSI ha ha!). No doubt I'll find a way to get things where I can reach them more easily. As an aside, I can't work out how to create a new group any more. What have I forgotten?

OK, sorry, I hadn't explained it fully first time. I had created my own groups of presets and had them at the bottom of the list of groups, where I could reach them with very little mouse movement. I thought I was able to change the order of the groups, but clearly not. Now, as you say Jim, my presets are put at the top (which will increase my RSI ha ha!). No doubt I'll find a way to get things where I can reach them more easily. As an aside, I can't work out how to create a new group any more. What have I forgotten?

If it is the Groups that are in an order that you don’t like, they are sub folders in the Develop Presets folder. With Lightroom Closed, you can try renaming and reordering these folders in Finder/Explorer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To create a new preset group:

1. From the develop module click on the "Add new Presets" "+" button.
2. Select the "Create Preset..." option
3. In the "New Develop Preset" window click the dropdown for "Group:"
4. You then get the option "New Group...", click on that
5. Define a name for your new group and press the "Create" button
6. Click the "Create" button in the "New Develop Preset" window.
7. Job done :)

Yep, I'd worked that out already but thanks anyway.
Incidentally one can then move one's own presets to other user groups (but not the in-built Adobe groups), so it is possible to re-order presets to some extent, perhaps with some judiciousalphabetical re-naming .

Yep, I'd worked that out already but thanks anyway.
Incidentally one can then move one's own presets to other user groups (but not the in-built Adobe groups), so it is possible to re-order presets to some extent, perhaps with some judiciousalphabetical re-naming .

Albeit I have not tried this in a while, but the built in presets can’t be moved but they can be copied to the Favorites Group. This is where I put them some time ago. I’ve since stopped using develop presets completely as other features added to Classic have rendered them mostly mute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so it is possible to re-order presets to some extent, perhaps with some judicious alphabetical re-naming .
Yes, possible. Rename Groups and Presets so they do sort alpha-numeric.
Number prefix names will always sort before Alphabetic chartacters-
1635556173609.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back