• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Re-Linking Missing Files Without Previous File Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey_b

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've got a problem in Lightroom Classic that I've found a slow, time-consuming fix for, but am hoping a simpler approach is possible.

The situation is this:

The hard drive that my photos were on was accidentally erased and the data had to be recovered. It looks like most if not all of my photos were successfully recovered, but the recovery simply put them all into one folder rather then the nested Year/Date structure that Lightroom imported them into. I was able to restore a backed up Lightroom catalog, but of course the files aren't in their previous location, so all the files are seen by as missing by Lightroom. The files are now in one large "Pictures" folder. I can redirect each individual folder to the recovered files with the "Find Missing Folder" command, but this seemingly can be only done one folder at a time, which is not desirable when I have 5-some years worth of folders to re-link. Is it there a fast way to redirect all the folders to the new "Pictures" folder at once?

Thank you for any help!

If you were using a date named folder structure before and you need to recreate the folder structure “Like Lightroom would”. You hav a good catalog but missing images. While you don’t want to reimport those images into the old catalog you do want them moved into the folder structure.

Try this:
Make a backup catalog copy (you should not need this but this is insurance in case you screw up).
Set aside your good backed up catalog and create a new empty catalog
Using this empty catalog to do the work, Import all of your image (in the one big folder) using the Move option to Move them into a Date Named folder structure to match the Date named folder structure of your good backed up catalog . Once the images have been moved to the Date Named Folder structure, open the good backed up catalog and use the Find Folder function in the Folder panel to re connect the old catalog to the correct path that the images are now in,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back