• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Re-importing images to catalogue

M

monkeypoint

Hi-I moved all of my photos from my external drive onto a new internal drive. Is there a way to access the images in the library without having to reimport everything and create new preview images? Because the image location is different, I get a message saying "image is offline" when I set LR to the Develop module.

Thanks,
Michelle

Mark Sirota

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Welcome to Lightroom Forums!

Don't re-import -- you need to redirect Lightroom to the new location.

Right-click on the top-level folder in your Folders list and choose "Find Missing Folder...". Navigate to the new location, and all will be well.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Excellent advise Mark - and welcome to the forum Michelle!

M

monkeypoint

Thanks everybody! OK, I tried re-linking and it seemed to work in some cases, while not in others. This is very strange: I organize my shoots into folders and name them according to date/last name of bride_last name of groom. Ex.: 2''9'11'_dub_obama Inside the main folder are 2 folders. I follow the same naming convention: '9'11'_dub_obama_dng, '9'11'_dub_obama_jpg for these two folders and for the files within the folders: '9'11'_dub_obama.'''1.dng, '9'11'_dub_obama.'''2.dng,...

So here's what's going on: when I try to relink the dng folders, for some reason, LR is reading the files within the dng folder as: '9'11'_dub_obama_dng.dng instead of '9'11'_dub_obama.'''1.dng

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Michelle

M

monkeypoint

OK-I'm using a Mac with the latest version of Tiger and LR vs. 1.4.1

Thanks,
Michelle (Obama-I wish)

dj_paige

Here's a guess from someone who doesn't own a Mac and doesn't own Lightroom 1.4.

I own another Adobe product (Photoshop Elements) that hates file names with more than one period in it. Try changing one of the file names so that it has only one period in it, and see if LR recognizes it.