• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop module Re-edit image in LRC while keeping previous edit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billip

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
LRC 2021
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Ok, so I've edited an image in Lightroom and am happy with it. A year later I'm reviewing my images and, while I still like my original edit, I now know how to use some features I couldn't use a year ago and would like to re-edit my original but without changing or losing my first edit, which I still like.
Would I make a virtual copy and edit that, or ..... ?

Thanks !

Solution
Make a Virtual Copy is an excellent solution. Then probably keep that as your original edit and edit the main photo.

LRC2021 isn't a Version btw - the current version is 10.2 (later in 2021 there will be an 11.0, so 2021 doesn't describe the version number)
Make a Virtual Copy is an excellent solution. Then probably keep that as your original edit and edit the main photo.

LRC2021 isn't a Version btw - the current version is 10.2 (later in 2021 there will be an 11.0, so 2021 doesn't describe the version number)

Solution
If I am editing different versions of an image, for the original project/folder... I will use virtual copies. Exported versions of this will be in subfolders.

If I decide I wish to use an image (either raw or a processed psd file) for a completely different project then I will export as Original to the new project folder. My original project images remain unaffected and the image starts a new life (with potentially many variants / children created in the new project folder. The new project may require substantially different treatments, interim psds and or exported jpgs reflecting the new project post processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back