RAW & Smart Previews mess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolas Mirguet

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi all,

I have a new problem with Smart Previews. The main issue is from our end, we've done a mistake when using them but the result we have now is really bad.

I explain: we are a photo post-production company and we started recently to use Lightroom (we were previously only doing technical editing on Photoshop), so our process is not well set yet...

For one client, we're using catalog + Smart Previews to do the work. When we're done, we are sending him back the files and it gets linked to his RAW files automatically (or maybe by relinking the first one manually and then everything is coming automatically).

One of our editor has done a terrible mistake while working on this. Instead of using the catalog sent by the client which is linked to the Smart Previews sent along, he was importing in an other catalog the Smart Previews sent (yes I know this is terrible...).

So here is my question, is there a way to tell Lightroom that the RAW files are other files? or, is there any logic in the way Lightroom is naming the Smart Previews that could allow us to find easily the names of the RAW files?

Thanks

Use 'Import from Another Catalog' and import this new/wrong catalog into the client catalog. That should do it.

So you mean, I (or my client in this case) should create once again a Catalog with RAW imported without any changes and in this catalog, we should 'Import from Another Catalog' the Catalog with all the changes made only with Smart Previews?

So you mean, I (or my client in this case) should create once again a Catalog with RAW imported without any changes and in this catalog, we should 'Import from Another Catalog' the Catalog with all the changes made only with Smart Previews?

Why would you or your client create a new catalog? Use the catalog with the raw images you have right now. Do make a backup first.

Yes, the one which was initially created? not sure he is still having it, that's why...

Well, that could complicate things! I never tried, but if you create a new catalog and import the images again, Lightroom may not know that the other catalog with only smart previews concerns the same images...

Right, I didn't think about that.... but I've just checked and because we've worked on DNG done by Lightrooms, they have different names...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back