• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

RAW+JPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobT

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
To digitally process B&W negatives, I photograph them as RAWs, crop, invert the tone curve and export, usually as JPGs. This allows me to work on the JPGs without sliders being all over the shop. I normally export as "Filename + Sequence" to the same folder, synchronise, import and stack.
I once inadvertently exported as "Filename" only. This crested a RAW+JPG. I thought, no worries, I'll just unstack. It didn't work. I couldn't find a way of extracting the JPG. It's no big deal because I can do it again my normal way but it begs the question, what is the purpose of RAW+JPG it they can't easily be separated?

To digitally process B&W negatives, I photograph them as RAWs, crop, invert the tone curve and export, usually as JPGs. This allows me to work on the JPGs without sliders being all over the shop. I normally export as "Filename + Sequence" to the same folder, synchronise, import and stack.
I once inadvertently exported as "Filename" only. This crested a RAW+JPG. I thought, no worries, I'll just unstack. It didn't work. I couldn't find a way of extracting the JPG. It's no big deal because I can do it again my normal way but it begs the question, what is the purpose of RAW+JPG it they can't easily be separated?

They can be separated. In Preferences, you need to flag the “Treat JPEGs as a separate file”. The Lightroom will import the as a separate file and not consider them as a Sidecar to the RAW file.

What I don’t understand is how an already imported RAW file captured an added JPEG unless the JPEG was imported from the camera card as a sidecar and you over wrote the earlier JPEWG with your B&W export of the same name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I've checked the “Treat JPEGs as a separate file” box and going through the same process, it does indeed produce two separate files, a RAW and a JPG. This may be the safer way to go.
Regarding your second point, with “Treat JPEGs as a separate file” unchecked, exporting any RAW as a JPG of the same name and in the same folded, then reimporting by synchronising the folder, produces a RAW+JPG. Try it. If you then go through the process again but with the box checked, you get the original RAW+JPG and a JPG. Go figure.
Anyway, I can now see how it's possible to easily extract a JPG from a RAW+JPG. However, it seems extremely difficult to break up a RAW+JPG. Luckily, that isn't really necessary unless space is an issue.

with “Treat JPEGs as a separate file” unchecked, exporting any RAW as a JPG of the same name and in the same folded, then reimporting by synchronising the folder, produces a RAW+JPG. Try it. If you then go through the process again but with the box checked, you get the original RAW+JPG and a JPG.
Right, Synchronize Folder is the standard way of separating / joining RAW+JPG pairs.

If you then go through the process again but with the box checked, you get the original RAW+JPG and a JPG. Go figure.
If you then select the RAW+JPG and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, the RAW+JPG will then become just a RAW (correctly).

Whenever I export from Lr, I mostly store the results in a subfolder of the folder containing the original.
I do this for several reasons.
1. If I happen to have jpgs and raw files (I mostly import raw only, but sometimes the jpgs slip in) then I can be sure that I am not confusing my exported jpgs with the original jpg captured by the camera. It is 95% likely in my case the export version will be different than the original jpg as I will have my specific processing/cropping applied.
2. It gives me the opportunity to name the subfolder with a meaningful name, such as JpgsForWeb, TiffForPrint,etc.
3. If I am creating images (say jpgs) to send to someone, I always put these images in a subfolder with the name of the target recipient. The subfolder name may include the text -Draft, -FinalVer, etc.
4. I have export presets configured with my most common export scenarios, where I have preconfigured the subfolder names, such as Web,Print,FullRezJpg, etc.
5. It is real easy to do and avoids confusion.

Try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/
LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.
Try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/
LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.
Thank you, a useful tip.BUT it has not corrected the issue. The tick does not save.

But still the raw and jpg are one
This won't change files that you've already imported. You can right (Ctrl-)click on a relevant folder in the Folder panel and choose "Synchronize Folder..." to import the JPGs.

This won't change files that you've already imported. You can right (Ctrl-)click on a relevant folder in the Folder panel and choose "Synchronize Folder..." to import the JPGs.
Thank you. Who would think? Synchronise again! It has certainly done the job for most files but still a few that are sticky! Never mind, its enough to move on. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back