• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Raw+jpg file locations and workflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachandsteve

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 11.3.1 [ 202204181225-f90ebff5 ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi All new to the forum so go gently on me. :)

I'm a long time lightroom user initially with a Pentax K20d then a K3 mk1 and now a Fuji XT4

1, As a pentax shooter i was always in Raw - this is the workflow I know

2, A decent percentage of Fuji Users use the Jpegs out of the camera

3, A decent number of fuji users shoot raw+jpg. ( I am aware of the 'issues' with LR and Fuji. As i know Lightroom well I want to keep using it.)

4, I like the idea of Raw+jpeg as it gives me a quick way of getting good results and as time allows I can process raws that i may want to work on. It also releives the nag factor in the my wife can access the OOC files from file explorer immediately.

5, storage space isnt a major issue for me - I have a 18tb array with 12tb backup. more will be added soon too..

6, My folder structure has always been basic eg

(XT4) - Camera Model

- (yyyymmdd - Subject)

-(Raw) - Raw files from camera

-(export Jpg) Exported Jpgs from Lightroom

So My dilemma -

RAW+JPG give me a few options.

1, I can import files treating the RAW and JPG as the same - both files get imported to the same folder, JPG cannot be viewed apart from outside of LR. RAF thumb shows RAF+JPG so I know its "stacked" for want of a better description - Folder outside of lightroom is mixed Raw / JPG - not very well segregated so messy to view..

2, I can import files treating the RAW and JPG as seperate - both files get imported to the same folder, JPG are visible next to the RAF file - Looks messy in LR and messy in Folder outside of lightroom

3, as above but stack files in LR (manually)- actual file folder is still messy but LR is tidier and can choose to see JPG (why it doesnt do this by default on import baffles me)- appears to be a bit buggy in that it stacks the JPG on top (in the attempt I did) trying to make multiple raws move up didnt work (did one) but it works moving mutiple JPGS down.. which is wierd but another step in the process (which i'm trying to avoid as I am very hobby rich and time poor)

4, import as 2 and then move JPG's to an OOC folder within lightroom, folder is tidy, lightroom, depending on setting is tidy (no subfolders viewable) or doubled up (subfolders visible) I can then have another subfolder called Exported for any raw exports - makes comparing images harder (jpg and raw) although I can use reference images from the OOC folder.

What is your workflow.. or do you just not worry about it like I am - Any suggestions would be welcome.. even ridicule for my thoughts.. :)

Steve

I've followed a similar path as you. I started with the Pentax and like the fact that my RAW files could be DNG from the camera. I went to several Nikons and shot NEFs Intrigued by the mirrorless opportunities I got a Fuji XT3. I shot RAW as I don't really see any benefit from shooting RAW+JPEG as the RAFs render quite acceptably out of the Camera by Lightroom (especially since we are at LrC v11.x). I was not satisfied with the camera controls on the Fuji as they were not as intuitive (to me) as those on the Pentax or Nikon. When Nikon came out with a full frame mirrorless (Z7) I sold my fuji gear and went back to Nikon.

If I were to shoot RAW+JPEG using any camera. I would use your option #2. The physical location of the image files is not important to Lightroom or me. I recommend and use one of the default date named folder schemes and all of my imports shot on the same date end up in the same folder. They can be RAW, JPEG, my NEFs or HEIC from my iPhone.

I mostly ignore the folder panel after import and do all of my Lightroom organization in the Collections panel. Organization by folders is so limiting that I don't think Adobe intended it to be used by any one other that those that already had an extensive folder based organization scheme prior to using Lightroom for image organization and management.

I've followed a similar path as you. I started with the Pentax and like the fact that my RAW files could be DNG from the camera. I went to several Nikons and shot NEFs Intrigued by the mirrorless opportunities I got a Fuji XT3. I shot RAW as I don't really see any benefit from shooting RAW+JPEG as the RAFs render quite acceptably out of the Camera by Lightroom (especially since we are at LrC v11.x). I was not satisfied with the camera controls on the Fuji as they were not as intuitive (to me) as those on the Pentax or Nikon. When Nikon came out with a full frame mirrorless (Z7) I sold my fuji gear and went back to Nikon.

If I were to shoot RAW+JPEG using any camera. I would use your option #2. The physical location of the image files is not important to Lightroom or me. I recommend and use one of the default date named folder schemes and all of my imports shot on the same date end up in the same folder. They can be RAW, JPEG, my NEFs or HEIC from my iPhone.

I mostly ignore the folder panel after import and do all of my Lightroom organization in the Collections panel. Organization by folders is so limiting that I don't think Adobe intended it to be used by any one other that those that already had an extensive folder based organization scheme prior to using Lightroom for image organization and management.

Thanks Cleetus..

I'll agree with you re the controls being intuitive.. yet.. i can adapt to some things easily enough.. but the pentax ergonomics were very good. No good having goo ergonomics though if you get fed up using it because of image issues!

#2 (I have asked on a fuji forum too) seems to be the most common thought, I guess i just need to train my eyes and head to a) ignore the lack of segregation b) get used to filtering the files. Its fine in lightroom but as I thin I mentioned.. its the wife factor too.. she doesnt have and doesnt want to use lightroom so she is looking at files in explorer. Easy enough to filter though. Exports will be in a completely seperate folder.

Re my naming scheme - its pretty basic I have a top level folder which is the camera (I break them down by this) so example [Fuji XT4] > [20220616 - Random event] > Image files in Here > [export] - exported files in here - Not added to catalogue - same name as original file

I'll have to try my existing workflow now as having 2 files named the same is likely to throw lightroom out - so may need to ID my exports as such in the file name.

I'm sure the above is more complex than it needs to be, however I like structure in folders.. and I really struggle to get away from it (using metadata) its one reason I just cannot deal with Ipads.. Folders are too hard to deal with and cannot be shared (currently) unless jailbroken.

I'll have a look into collections - I have never used them so havent started to understand them.. thanks for the hint there.

Steve

Hi, similar thing here - Fuji and shoot raw and jpg.
If all is going well, I’m really happy with the jpg output from the camera - no reason for do anything in post.
However, the raw gives me a back up plan - or when the photo needs “proper work”.

I think plan 2 sounds best.

I just organise in folders by:
Year
- Month or specific event

However, I’m in the same boat trying to get a better way of handling both formats. The idea of a folder for jpgs seems best so maybe adding [OOC] and [exported jpg] folders is a good option.

I generally look to delete the raws where I’m happy with OOC and develop the other raws. Outrageous to delete the raws I know but they’re usually just my pics so no client to worry about.

I suggest import jpgs and raw as separate files. After import, at a time that suits, select all the jpgs and put them into a subfolder called something like CameraJpgs.

1. That keeps your main screen uncluttered with twin versions.
2. You may have specific settings in camera which creates, say, mono images as per the Fuji film options and you may initially review the effect. This keeps a preserved copy of these images in a folder which is easy to find. This allows you to play with the raw settings to try and get your recipe to emulate the Fuji jpg ver.
3. After you have finished processing your images, or maybe 2 - 3 months later, you may wish to get rid of all or most of the camera jpgs. You can now easily find them and delete all or most of them, reducing long term clutter of files you are unlikely to use again.

As someone who has mainly used Fuji for 5-6 years, I prefer to shoot uncompressed raw+jpeg because (unlike my Nikons) the raw files don't contain a full size embedded thumbnail.

I do not treat them as separate files as this allows me to take advantage of the Embedded Preview option in the Import dialog, which means I can get on reviewing image faster as the import progresses.

In the preferences, I have Camera Settings enabled for my Fujis, so the raws look close enough to the camera-generated jpegs.

A while after LR's previews have been generated, I will have no need for the jpegs and wrote a little script to delete them safely. "Safely" because it ignores other jpegs and just targets those belonging to the raw files you've selected when you run the script.

Why uncompressed raw? That's because I sometimes want to work on particularly-interesting new pictures when I'm out, maybe on the way home, and so I'll import them into LrMobile on my iPhone. iOS fails to display compressed raw files.

Thanks for that info - interesting approach (and the script)! I’ll try the camera settings on import - I hadn’t considered that they be close to the jpg recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back