Raw + JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skor2003

this year I've started shooting in the mode mentioned in the title. I've been using lightroom for about 5 months now with just raw images.

A few days ago when dealing with my raw+JPEG I started having an issue. Normally in lightroom I'm looking at the raw file. It mentions there is anoher file which is a JPEG. I had lightroom hide the JPEG since I was interested in the raw files mostly.

Anyway the issue was all of a sudden (I didn't mean to change any settings) it started pointing at the JPEG. Under filename where it originally said .nef it now said .JPEG. On a photo I had previously worked on it said the settings had changed. Is there a way to make it point back to the .nef? Is there an east way to switch between the two.

Finally, this happened after I moved some folders around in lightroom. The only work around I had was to re-import my photos and re edit them.

Just bumping this thread for you. It's not a problem I've come across.

Can you post your system specs in your signature please, as it'll help us give more specific advise.

Computer Specs

Intel Core 2 Duo 642' @ 2.13 Ghz
2 gigs of Ram
2 Harddrives, 25' seagate, 14' western digital
Nvidia GeForce 79'' GS
Brand new motherboard.

Is there anything specific your looking for or maybe a program I should run to get the specs off my pc?

I guess a more specific question is there a way to edit the jpeg version of a raw photo, like some sort of toggle (default usually shows the .NEF, or do I have to show the jpeg as a separate photo.

Shannon

Intel Core 2 Duo 642' @ 2.13 Ghz
2 gigs of Ram
2 Harddrives, 25' seagate, 14' western digital
Nvidia GeForce 79'' GS
Brand new motherboard.

Is there anything specific your looking for or maybe a program I should run to get the specs off my pc?

I guess a more specific question is there a way to edit the jpeg version of a raw photo, like some sort of toggle (default usually shows the .NEF, or do I have to show the jpeg as a separate photo.

Shannon
Hi Shannon,

You can put those specs in the UserCP (top left of the page which will stop people asking!!) and your camera too - thanks.

Sorry this hasn't been answered but here goes.
In library use the drop down menu and find the "stacking" menu. In there are the commands to change the order of stacks or move a photo up or down in a stack.
What you want to do is have the folder with the stacked photos then select all and shift] which will move the top photo down in the stack.

Am I right in thinking these are not actually stacked separate images, but a raw file + sidecar, caused by having 'treat jpegs next to raw files separately' turned off? In which case, Geoff, good thinking, but I can't get that to work.

I can't replicate the problem either - whatever I do, I can't get a file and its sidecar to switch places. What does the file type say in the Metadata panel?

Best solution I could come up with is to uncheck that 'treat jpegs separately' checkbox and run an import for those folders to pick up the other files, and then just delete off whichever ones you don't want.

Am I right in thinking these are not actually stacked separate images, but a raw file + sidecar, caused by having 'treat jpegs next to raw files separately' turned off? In which case, Geoff, good thinking, but I can't get that to work.

I can't replicate the problem either - whatever I do, I can't get a file and its sidecar to switch places. What does the file type say in the Metadata panel?

Best solution I could come up with is to uncheck that 'treat jpegs separately' checkbox and run an import for those folders to pick up the other files, and then just delete off whichever ones you don't want.

That sounds like the answer Victoria, I had missed that they were "sidecar files".;);)

Yea. The issue was the Metadata somehow got changed and instead of pointing to the .NEF file, it now pointed to the JPG (from Raw + JPG shootin). All edits I made were to the JPG. Under the file Name section of Metadata, the extension was .jpg. If I tried renaming it to .NEF it would just go back to the Jpg.

I'm not sure how I got it to do it besides moving the files then pointing lightroom back to them. That was why I was wondering if there was some kind of toggle to switch between editing the NEF and the JPG of the same picture.

Say I wanted to edit the JPG, what would i have to do? Hit the "treat jpg's as a different file button?" It seems to me it'd be a feature to just switch over to editing the JPG version as when you click the "treat jpg's as a different file" means you get a TON of duplicates.

I spent about an hour last nite researching this, and got nowhere fast, sorry.

I have several folders where I shot and developed RAW, and then exported JPG's back into the same folder. So I had

filea.CR2
filea.xmp
filea.jpg (exported derivative file)

and life was good.

At some point, experimenting, I created a new catalog and imported those developed RAW/xmps. The filetypes are now displayed as RAW+JPG.

I've never been able to figure out, in what way is that different? (But, I haven't spent a lot of time on it until Skor asked the question).

Most sources on the 'net have a lot to say about shooting RAW+JPG and potential advantages, (especially if you can nail the jpg's in-camera) but I can't find anything about LR's treatment of the coupled pair.

Guys and Girls, thank you so much for your help. I think the net result is I just happened to find a weird bug. Thanks again for looking into it. If it crops up again (which it hasn't) I'll let y'all know. Thanks! Shannon Or say if I wanted to ever edit the JPG instead of the RAW (maybe I like the JPG better as a starting point) and it turns out there's an easy way to switch between the two, just let me know. Thanks!

I had the same problem with a friends file that I imported. They were Nikon D3'' NEF + Jpgs. Jpgs were recorded as sidecars. Everything was fine until I started moving the folders with lightroom. Some but not all files started showing just the JPG files and not the NEF's. The metadata status button suggested a metadata conflict which I tried to fix by accepting the suggestion of writing the changes to disk. Perhaps this is what caused the problem?

Alastair

Hello Skor- This is my very first post anywhere on the net - ever, so if things go a

this year I've started shooting in the mode mentioned in the title. I've been using lightroom for about 5 months now with just raw images.

A few days ago when dealing with my raw+JPEG I started having an issue. Normally in lightroom I'm looking at the raw file. It mentions there is anoher file which is a JPEG. I had lightroom hide the JPEG since I was interested in the raw files mostly.

Anyway the issue was all of a sudden (I didn't mean to change any settings) it started pointing at the JPEG. Under filename where it originally said .nef it now said .JPEG. On a photo I had previously worked on it said the settings had changed. Is there a way to make it point back to the .nef? Is there an east way to switch between the two.

Finally, this happened after I moved some folders around in lightroom. The only work around I had was to re-import my photos and re edit them.

I'm also experiencing problems with Raw/jpeg combinations. Am currently running a lightroom1.3 trial version and am pretty wary as to where I tread. I have a lifetime of images to commit to whatever system I decide to go with and thus far have started investigating only LR and Aperture. Aperture I've decided, temporarily, to put aside as my lowly 3gigs of ram and new Imac don't seem sufficient for decent speed.
My problem with the raw/jpeg combination has surfaced whilst building pdf slideshows. One half of the file appears on the page as blank grey with a red stripe through the page.
I've traditionally worked with Raw/jpeg but no longer need the reassurance of the jpeg as I find working with RAW only more streamlined in a number of ways. Still, I have many thousands of files in the combined form and my alternatives, short of going through all these folders and deleting the jpgs, seem pretty limited. If there are to be issues with the handling of combined Raw/jpg, then I'm afraid that LR is not going to be the panacea I hoped it to be.
Any thoughts - any one?

Alastair, That is exactly the issue I had. Jeez, that is friggin awesome. Someone else had the same situation. Did you move them in lightroom or out of lightroom? I moved them in windows explorer

Shannon Beers

Edit** them being the files/folders

Bully I have no ideas. I would like some sort of toggle feature where I can edit either the RAW or JPEG. Maybe something like that for slideshow, where lightroom specifically knows either Raw or JPG so no confusion

Well congratulations on your first post on the internet ever Bully!

You can use the Metadata Browser to filter out all of the jpeg files, and then either delete them from Lightroom (leaving them on the hard drive if you wish) or just hiding them. If you want to keep them on your hard drive, mark them with a colour label and then you can easily filter them again in future.

Personally I'd like a way of telling it to import the raw file and JUST IGNORE the jpeg, not marking it as a sidecar file as CR2+Jpeg. Closest I can get for now is to import them as separate photos and then filter off the jpegs and delete them from the catalog. If you don't still shoot raw+jpeg, that may be your safest option, as it should avoid the possible bug that Skor & Alastair have identified.

Your slideshow issue sounds a bit funny - have you rendered previews before running the slideshow? I've not heard of that being raw+jpeg related before.

Same problem when moving RAW+JPEG // RAW seems to get lost

I had the same problem with a friends file that I imported. They were Nikon D3'' NEF + Jpgs. Jpgs were recorded as sidecars. Everything was fine until I started moving the folders with lightroom. Some but not all files started showing just the JPG files and not the NEF's. The metadata status button suggested a metadata conflict which I tried to fix by accepting the suggestion of writing the changes to disk. Perhaps this is what caused the problem?

Alastair

I have the same phenomena as Alastair: When moving a folder within LR the metadata of RAW+JPEG-files show this conflict.
The conflict can be solved by applying the saved metadata from LR's catalogue. But instead of the RAW file before, it seems LR now only shows and edits the JPEG file. E.g. when exporting the picture with the option "Original" I get a JPG not a RAW file.
When synchronising the folder, LR will recognise the RAW files as duplicates.

In the metadata of the moved picture LR shows:
Filename: P126.JPG
Original Filename: P126.RAW
File Size: 3,38MB
File Type: RAW

The metadata of the same picture (RAW+JPEG) before moving was:
File Name: P126.RAW
Sidecar File: .JPG
File Size: 14,34MB
File type: RAW

(This is a translation as I'm using the German version)

:right:Does anybody have a suggestion how to come back to the original status before moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back