• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

RAW file converted to black and white on import without instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphickey

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Question about Lightroom 5. I've been using this software for some time. It is too old to read the raw files (RAF) from my new Fuji camera so I use the Adobe converter to convert them to DNG and then import them into LR5. Yesterday I shot an event in raw + jpeg. I used the windows 10 photos app to import them off the memory card into the computer. I then converted the raw (RAF) files to DNG. I then imported the raw & jpeg files into LR5. When the images first appear in a grid so you can check/uncheck every image both raw and jpeg are in color. I hit the import button. As they are imported into LR the raw images are converted to black and white (not the jpeg). The "apply during import" presets is set to NONE. Any ideas why this is happening? This is grasping at straws but I did have a huge windows 10 update yesterday morning.

To continue (I waited too long to edit the original post) I couldn't find a way to deactivate the LR5 software. I uninstalled/restarted the computer. Reinstalled/restarted the computer. No serial number was requested so apparently the uninstall isn't total. The problem continues.

Just to clarify.....was this the first attempt to convert to DNG and import to LR5? Or was it the first attempt to import DNG+Jpeg? If the latter, what happens if you just import the DNGs only?

No serial number was requested so apparently the uninstall isn't total. The problem continues.
The serial number, like the Preferences and other support files are outside of the program executable and are not automatically removed when you uninstall the program.

Just to clarify.....was this the first attempt to convert to DNG and import to LR5? Or was it the first attempt to import DNG+Jpeg? If the latter, what happens if you just import the DNGs only?
To clarify. I don't use LR5 to convert to DNG because the raf files are too new for it to recognize. I covert to DNG using the Adone DNG converter then I import the jpegs and dng files at the same time. I've done that many many times without a problem.

Just now, after reading you comment, I imported the DNG files only. They were immedaitely made in to black and white images. Thank you for the response and the comment abot the serial number.

A screen shot of your import dialog showing in particular the Destination panel would be a help.
Can I assume the thumbnails in the import dialog are in color?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thumbnails where you check uncheck your selected images are in color. Screen grab attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• screenshot.JPG
    screenshot.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 260
Take one of the B&W DNGs into the Develop module, then press and hold the Shift key. The Reset button, bottom right, will change to "Reset (Adobe)". Click on that button and see if the image reverts to colour.

If it does, it means that you have (inadvertently) changed the Adobe Default settings to one that applies a monochrome treatment. In which case, go to Develop menu>Set Default Settings>Restore Adobe Default Settings, which should fix the problem for new imports. For existing imports either do that Reset (Adobe) or just press the V key.

Take one of the B&W DNGs into the Develop module, then press and hold the Shift key. The Reset button, bottom right, will change to "Reset (Adobe)". Click on that button and see if the image reverts to colour.

If it does, it means that you have (inadvertently) changed the Adobe Default settings to one that applies a monochrome treatment. In which case, go to Develop menu>Set Default Settings>Restore Adobe Default Settings, which should fix the problem for new imports. For existing imports either do that Reset (Adobe) or just press the V key.

So now the plot thickens. I did the reset and the image remained Black and white. I reset default settings in the develop menu. Then I shot some new photos double checking my Fuji film simulation was color. Then I converted the raf with the Adobe dng converter to dng. And --> they are B&W before I import to LR. That hasn't happened before. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the converter and I'll get back to you guys. I appreciate the help.

I

I'm extremely pleased to report that replacing the dng converter with a new download has fixed the problem. I think maybe because there was a large Windows update just before this problem started it may have affected the converter. Funny I couldn't find the converter listed in my windows control panel programs to uninstall so simply downloaded the current version hoping it would replace it. It still doesn't show up in my windows list of installed programs.

I'm very grateful for your help. I'll be telling my LR using friends about lightroomqueen. I'm likely going to move to the subscription service in the coming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back