• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Raw and Jpeg side by side ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redmark

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi all, I just join up having just purchase LR4.I shoot in Raw plus jpeg, when I import I convert to dng, the dng and jpeg sit side by side which makes viewing tiresome for looking for keepers.Is there a better way to flag and reject bringing in both file type. Is there a better work flow keeping both. My previous work flow using picasa was to hide the dng and call for the ones I may want to work with.
As I mention I am new to this so I am on the learning curve.
By the way I use date as this works for me. However when I got in existing folders, its is a bit mix up e.g. LR brings them in as 2012-11-23 the folders in laptop and external are as 20121115. Can I change this so all run in correct date sequence?
I know these are basic Q but I want to try and get this part right as to move on to what LR4 can do for me. I am completely new here.

Cheers and thank for any help.
Mark
Take care
Spike your hair

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum!

For the raw+jpeg, you have a couple of options. In Preferences, there's a checkbox to treat the raw+jpeg as separate photos. If that's unchecked the JPEG will be stored on the hard drive next to the raw file, but will be treated as a sidecar file - you'd just see the dng file in LR but when you moved or renamed it, the JPEG would go too.

Alternatively, you could use the Metadata filters at the top of the Grid view to filter for just the JPEGs, and then use John's Syncomatic plug-in to sync your star ratings etc. back to the matching DNG files.

For the existing folders, you can't automatically change the folders without removing the photos (and most work you've done on them) and reimporting with the correct folder structure. So the question is have you edited those files in LR?

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum!

For the raw+jpeg, you have a couple of options. In Preferences, there's a checkbox to treat the raw+jpeg as separate photos. If that's unchecked the JPEG will be stored on the hard drive next to the raw file, but will be treated as a sidecar file - you'd just see the dng file in LR but when you moved or renamed it, the JPEG would go too.

Alternatively, you could use the Metadata filters at the top of the Grid view to filter for just the JPEGs, and then use John's Syncomatic plug-in to sync your star ratings etc. back to the matching DNG files.

For the existing folders, you can't automatically change the folders without removing the photos (and most work you've done on them) and reimporting with the correct folder structure. So the question is have you edited those files in LR?

Thanks Victoria for your quick rely,
I might run with the first answer on the raw+jpeg part as it is less buttons to press to avoid going to Metadata each time I look at them. ( I think that"s correct)
The second part, as I have not done any work on them, could I go to hard drives and rename to LR4 way (2012-10-19) then delete LR4 folders, then bring in new name folders in so as they are in order?
Is date the way to go? What are other examples
Anyway, I am keen to change my ways if it make sense.
Cheers
P.S. I am on the road at the moment but will look forward if you take the time to reply
Mark

If you haven't done any work on them, then you could just remove them for LR and when you reimport get LR to move them to your dated folder structure automatically. Date would be my personal preference, and is the system I'd usually recommend.

Thanks for your time Victoria. Further to my last ( I really need to do a course) when I put in my external what is the sequence? Do I go to import to access my folders from external to make the date change as they were put in for me. At the moment it reads by year, for e.g. 2008 (encloses the dated folders as 20081017 and so on). I have 5 years worth like this. How to remove them (keeping the year) and how to re-import to get LR dated default (2008 .....2008-10-17 etc)
Yours faithfully
Mark

So you'd find them in LR and press Delete. A pop-up will appear asking if you want to remove them from the catalog or delete them from the disk - you definitely only want to remove them!!!

And then you go to Import and navigate to the existing photos. I'd set it to MOVE at the top, so that it moves them into a dated folder structure, and in the Destination panel you can set it to the same dated folder structure you're using for new imports. You might not want it importing them onto your laptop drive - you might want to set it to create a new dated folder structure on your external. Make sure everything looks as you'd expect in the Destination panel, and then you should be good to go. You might want to do a year at a time, or some kind of smaller chunks. (And of course the usual warning, backup first...)

I am starting to get it, but

So you'd find them in LR and press Delete. A pop-up will appear asking if you want to remove them from the catalog or delete them from the disk - you definitely only want to remove them!!!

And then you go to Import and navigate to the existing photos. I'd set it to MOVE at the top, so that it moves them into a dated folder structure, and in the Destination panel you can set it to the same dated folder structure you're using for new imports. You might not want it importing them onto your laptop drive - you might want to set it to create a new dated folder structure on your external. Make sure everything looks as you'd expect in the Destination panel, and then you should be good to go. You might want to do a year at a time, or some kind of smaller chunks. (And of course the usual warning, backup first...)

But before I run with it , my current year( 2012) backup in my external is in LR (most of the folders) and it comes up as "there appears to be a duplicate of another photo already in the catalog", as I want to clear more space in my laptop my question is, I should be able to delete the duplicate folders in laptop and that part should be good.(as they are already in external). Then I can go ahead with the date change.Is this correct.

I can backup in another external and when you say backup first,I take it this is not through LR.( I normal do this a couple of times on my return of my extended trips)

Cheers Mark

I have a little job coming up this Saturday where the files have to be jpegs, something I haven't shot in 10 years. I thought I'd compare raws and jpegs while doing family photos this past week. Thanks to this thread I am no longer going nuts trying to figure out how to separate jpegs from raws.

But before I run with it , my current year( 2012) backup in my external is in LR (most of the folders) and it comes up as "there appears to be a duplicate of another photo already in the catalog", as I want to clear more space in my laptop my question is, I should be able to delete the duplicate folders in laptop and that part should be good.(as they are already in external). Then I can go ahead with the date change.Is this correct.

When you delete the photos from the laptop, LR will put a question mark on the folders and files. You can then right-click > Find Missing Folder and point it to the external drive files. No need to import or see duplicate warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back