• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Publish Services Random republish flagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff Ober

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 11.0 [ 202110120910-0bccc70d ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
One issue with LR that drives me bonkers is the random flagging of a previously published image for republish (I use Smugmug). I've seen threads over the years indicating others have the same issue, yet Adobe never seems to have any inclination to fix it. It's a huge problem for me since I have to use a satellite IP (I live in rural Maine, and that's the only option for even moderate speed), and I also have a data cap. Wasting both bandwidth and capacity really gets me annoyed.

I have noticed that often the files that have not been touched in many months and suddenly pop up as needing to be republished have recently been viewed, either in LR or in another viewer application. Windows at least (don't know about Mac) maintains a file attribute for the most recent time a file has been accessed. Is it possible that LR sees this change in the file and erroneously decides it needs to be republished?

Stuff like this shouldn't be that hard to track down, and shouldn't be such a long lasting problem for users. Adobe's focus on features over fixes is the major reason that Lightroom is the only one of their apps I use anymore. I used to spend quite a bit of money annually for about a half dozen major apps; not so much anymore - there are good alternatives for most stuff now...

cdo

Yes, Big problem ignored by Adobe for years.

We would love reproducible steps to be provided. FYI I have been active on the thread and testing items in the above thread and am running a test to try and reproduce this failure. After 14 days of hammering on it, it has yet to fail for me. If you can make this happen repeatedly and have a recipe for the behavior, please post it at the thread in Paul's reply.

Thanks

I have noticed that often the files that have not been touched in many months and suddenly pop up as needing to be republished have recently been viewed, either in LR or in another viewer application. Windows at least (don't know about Mac) maintains a file attribute for the most recent time a file has been accessed. Is it possible that LR sees this change in the file and erroneously decides it needs to be republished?
I'm pretty sure that's not a cause.

One cause that has been definitively identified is the upgrade from LR 10 to LR 11, which changed the catalog representation of masks. The representations get incrementally upgraded on demand as LR re-renders the photos, e.g. if you scroll in Library grid view or open a photo in Loupe at 100% zoom and LR discovers it doesn't have a cached preview of the right size. When a photo's mask representation gets upgraded, that incorrectly triggers the "modified" flag. This incremental upgrade process, which depends on whether previews have been cached at the right size, is what makes the problem to appear "random".

Selecting all the incorrectly modified photos and doing Mark As Up-To-Date doesn't work for many of us; for me, the only known workaround is to republish the photos.

After 12 straight days of testing - I am still not reproducing...

Last edited:
I can’t give you the exact conditions, but I do see it too. Images that I only viewed, and definitely not edited, are sometimes suddenly marked for republishing.
Viewing an image can, under certain conditions, cause a new preview to rerender - wonder if that is it?

Cliff, let us know if marking your published images as up-to-date sticks, or if some of them revert back to modified. For some people, including me, many images marked as up-to-date doesn't stick.

Viewing an image can, under certain conditions, cause a new preview to rerender - wonder if that is it?
Yes, I was thinking about that too. Sometimes I did not even view an image that is marked for republishing, but it’s possible that it was displayed in the grid while I was looking for another image and so its preview may still have been rerendered.

I have noticed the same behaviour as Johan, and came to the same conclusion (that generating a new preview somehow flags a re-publish), but for me it is infrequent, and I don't think it re-occurs on the same image after the first time.

It's not necessary to view the thumbnails or Loupe view of published photos to trigger the Modified. I believe there is a background process that checks for modifications to photos as well. My catalog currently has over 6800 photos in 176 collections marked as Modified, and I haven't viewed the thumbnails or Loupe views of most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back