• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Random colors when printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARPhoto

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 11.2 [ 202201281441-a5b5f472 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I've been printing for 10 years, but now can't figure out why I get random colors printing in both B&W and color (Epson R3000). I can print from Apple Photos ok, but not from Lightroom. I hadn't printed in a few months after moving all photos to an external drive, not sure if that has anything to do with the problem. I'm at wits end and at 75 find the tech stuff doesn't come as easy.

i doubt moving image to a different drive could cause this.

Ink nozzle issues can cause this effect but if it prints OK from a different app, that's probably not the issue either.

Are the random colors like a color cast or are the color splotches in only certain portions of the image?

If you print from Apple Photos, you are printing a different image file than when printing from LrC. With Lrc, you are printing the image as saved on the hard drive plus any edits done in LrC. Depending on how the image got over to Apple Photos, that version may or may not have the LrC edits.

You may want to pass the image from Lrc over to Photoshop with LR Edits and then try printing from PS to see if the problem moves with the image. If the PS print shows the issue, then, back in LrC, export a full size JPG verson of the image to a folder. Then take that image into Apple Photos and print it from there and see what happens.

can't figure out why I get random colors printing in both B&W and color (Epson R3000). I can print from Apple Photos ok, but not from Lightroom.
Is colour management being done by the printer in both cases? If using ICC profiles, you may want ton consider reinstalling/upgrading them.

Check what it looks like in Soft Proofing with the ICC

I've been printing for 10 years, but now can't figure out why I get random colors printing in both B&W and color (Epson R3000). I can print from Apple Photos ok, but not from Lightroom. I hadn't printed in a few months after moving all photos to an external drive, not sure if that has anything to do with the problem. I'm at wits end and at 75 find the tech stuff doesn't come as easy.
If you can print from Apple Photos, then the printer nozzles are fine. Moving a photo to a different drive also won’t do this. My bet is on this: Apple changed the security requirements in MacOS Monterey. Go to MacOS 'System Settings - Security & Privacy' and add Lightroom Classic and Photoshop to "Full Disk Access". Click on the lock icon to unlock the settings, then click on the plus icon to add Lightroom Classic and/or Photoshop if it isn't already listed. If it is listed, then just enable the checkbox. See also Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back