• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Quick tip for Import MOVE from a folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 10.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Up to now, when I did an import, I would first count the number of NEF files in my import folder, then match that up with the count of images in Last Import. Today, I opened up the import folder, and I could actually see files disappear from the folder as the photos were Import MOVEd. Seeing the import folder empty was quick, and a confirmed way to know that all the photos had been imported.

Phil Burton

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the tip.

Remember, if importing from an SD card.... there may be multiple subfolders under the DCIM folder (especially where the sequence number hits a 9999 or 99999 limit). The risk is that the images in the second folder might be ignored.

I sense you might be copying the sd card contents to a folder and then importing / moving your images.

Up to now, when I did an import, I would first count the number of NEF files in my import folder, then match that up with the count of images in Last Import. Today, I opened up the import folder, and I could actually see files disappear from the folder as the photos were Import MOVEd. Seeing the import folder empty was quick, and a confirmed way to know that all the photos had been imported.

Phil Burton
Hi Phil, where are you importing from, an SD card (camera) or from a folder on internal or external HD? Also, why are you looking at count in last imported collection, that count is only what was last imported right? I guess I don't understand the tip.

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the tip.

Remember, if importing from an SD card.... there may be multiple subfolders under the DCIM folder (especially where the sequence number hits a 9999 or 99999 limit). The risk is that the images in the second folder might be ignored.

I sense you might be copying the sd card contents to a folder and then importing / moving your images.
Gnits, Yes, I first copy files from the SD card and then do the import. I don't reformat the SD card (in the camera) until the import process has completed and I have shut down LR (to back up the catalog).

Hi Phil, where are you importing from, an SD card (camera) or from a folder on internal or external HD? Also, why are you looking at count in last imported collection, that count is only what was last imported right? I guess I don't understand the tip.
Greg, please see message #4.

The point of my tip, which applies only to IMPORT-MOVE workflows, is that it is a faster way to verify that all files have been imported.

Greg, please see message #4.

The point of my tip, which applies only to IMPORT-MOVE workflows, is that it is a faster way to verify that all files have been imported.
My question would be since you said you're copying (importing) from SD card to an import folder on a hard drive, as opposed to directly to LrC, how do you know you got everything from that was on the SD card? So, therefore how do you know when you import to LrC from your import folder how do you know you got everything that was on the SD card and how does getting count of what's in Previous Import collection prior to import to LrC ensure you got all the files from the SD card? Additionally, what is point of having the middleman (import folder) so to speak? Perhaps I'm confused?

My question would be since you said you're copying (importing) from SD card to an import folder on a hard drive, as opposed to directly to LrC, how do you know you got everything from that was on the SD card?
Simple. I inspect the copy-to folder and the folder for the SD card, comparing the counts of the contents.

So, therefore how do you know when you import to LrC from your import folder how do you know you got everything that was on the SD card
By inspection of the respective folders.

and how does getting count of what's in Previous Import collection prior to import to LrC ensure you got all the files from the SD card?
By inspection of the respective folders.

Additionally, what is point of having the middleman (import folder) so to speak? Perhaps I'm confused?
I don't want to import directly from the SD card, in case of any errors during the import process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back