Questions on the "Editing Workflow" in Victoria's Lightroom FAQ book

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I just discovered the Editing Workflow flowchart. Adobe PDF reader says it's page 322 of the book.

(If you don't have Victoria's book, by all means do get it, unless you are one of the real gurus in this forum.)

This flowchart is the most detailed editing workflow I've found, and it seems complete. Just a few questions about how to handle in the overall workflow:
  • HDR
  • Panorama
  • virtual copies
  • Upright tool
  • Dehaze tool
  • "burning and dodging"
Phil Burton

that's making it too complicated for a rather cold sunday morning ---cold for australia that is where under 10c is cold haha

that's making it too complicated for a rather cold sunday morning ---cold for australia that is where under 10c is cold haha
Ian,

It's now Saturday evening and I'm in NYC for the week. Balmy 68 or so, or 20c for non-Americans.:D

Inquiring minds want to know.

Is that the Figure 11.10 one Phil? Page 198 in the bottom right corner?
  • HDR
    • Merge right at the start. No point doing work and then having to redo it.
  • Panorama
    • You could remove dust spots first and sync to the other images, but other than that, merge first, edit later.
  • Virtual copies
    • Whenever you want or need them.
  • Upright tool
    • Probably in the "correct lens deficiencies & composition line", between lens corrections and crop, but could be done earlier if you prefer, even at the "rough crop" stage.
  • Dehaze tool
    • Along with the initial tonal adjustments, because it has a significant effect on exposure etc.
  • "burning and dodging"
    • These would be "local adjustments".

Is that the Figure 11.10 one Phil? Page 198 in the bottom right corner?
  • HDR
    • Merge right at the start. No point doing work and then having to redo it.
  • Panorama
    • You could remove dust spots first and sync to the other images, but other than that, merge first, edit later.
  • Virtual copies
    • Whenever you want or need them.
  • Upright tool
    • Probably in the "correct lens deficiencies & composition line", between lens corrections and crop, but could be done earlier if you prefer, even at the "rough crop" stage.
  • Dehaze tool
    • Along with the initial tonal adjustments, because it has a significant effect on exposure etc.
  • "burning and dodging"
    • These would be "local adjustments".
Victoria,

Yes, it is Figure 11.10. However, my PDF of the book doesn't display page numbers.

Thank you for the original workflow and for these answers.

good info as always to think over Victoria
Panorama
You could remove dust spots first and sync to the other images, but other than that, merge first, edit later.
No idea how LR panorama works however this might help to match up exposures
>Setting >match total exposures (ctrl+shift+alt+m if you have enough fingers) >>then sync any other raw adjustments required
Note: I use Microsoft ICE for panoramas so I export the files (jpg/tiff) to an "edit" folder>open into ICE>click 2 buttons>save to "edit">import into original thread . To pull a wonky pano into shape try PS transform>warp and other tools in transform.
I find ICE does a great job for a free program (Microsoft could; or should pick up Nic imo)

Gotta love LR for virtual copies!!

However, my PDF of the book doesn't display page numbers.

That's odd, as I don't think I've released a PDF without page numbers. You might want to download the latest from the Members Area, so we're all referring to the same page then!

I have played with Microsoft ICE a little bit. But I really like Lightroom when it comes to creating panoramic images. Here is one that I created using 21 raw images. I started in the upper left-hand corner and finished in the lower right-hand corner. I simply highlighted all 21 images and let Lightroom do the stitching and this was the auto crop result. Of course, I have done some exposure and color adjustments. But Lightroom did the panorama work. I included a couple of highlights to show the approximate area of each image.

upload_2017-6-20_14-23-24.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back