• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Question regarding combining/consolidating catalog

lbeck

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a bloated catalog that I'm trying to consolidate. I have a number of files that I have renamed to remove the long prefix (from e.g., 20000223-75-10-06 1200.JPG to 75-10-06 1200.jpg). This will help me to search and to reorder my library.

I currently have 940 of these renamed files in a collection but I can't figure out how to incorporate these renamed files into my catalog to replace the picture references that have the long prefixes. Of course I also have these shortened filenames in an Explorer folder. Any suggestions?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
I'm not sure I understand. You say you have these renamed files 'in a collection'. Does that mean you have imported them (as duplicates)? Anyway, renaming files outside of Lightroom and then wanting to replace the originals is a nightmare scenario. That isn't ging to work, unless you are willing to do it one file at a time. The only way to do this is to rename the files in Lightroom.

lbeck

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Yes. The collection is duplicates with the long prefix stripped from the filename. I did this easily with a free program. Most of the files in my 14K+ library are named by date and I'm not sure how many of the files got the long prefix added, but it makes sorting and searching difficult. I have the plugins Find Duplicates2, Lr Transporter, and jb Listview and a few other utilities. I was hoping for something that would find duplicate images using something unique only to each duplicate pair. Then I could tag the ones with the long filenames and delete them, leaving the imported ones that are named by date.

I understand your comment that the only way to do this is one file at a time and that's what I'm trying to avoid. Without further suggestions I'll just leave the library as-is, keeping the poorly named files in.

Thanks for your comment.