• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In our books, Adobe Lightroom - The Missing FAQ and Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    Lightroom Classic us based on the folder-based version of Lightroom and Edit Like a Pro is based on the cloud-native Lightroom desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in 6.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Question on File Export - thank you

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I shoot exclusively in JPEG, and have been using LR for a couple of years, and up till now I have been editing my pictures in Photoshop Elements and then doing "Save As"... Occasionally I will overwrite the old file completely, and sometimes I will give the file a new name, so then I have both versions.

Now I have decided to learn to use the editing capabilities in the Develop module, so I am trying to get to grips with "File , Export" in order to achieve the same end-results as before - I have made a User Preset that ADDS a file to the folder and catalog, and this almost works the way I want it EXCEPT in the Library view afterwards I get 2 versions of the edited file (although one of them has a note in the bottom right-hand corner that it has been altered) I can right-click on the picture and go to "Develop Settings", "Reset" and the picture will revert to the original form, so then I have the result that I want.

I appreciate that LR is designed for non-destructive editing, but for the time being I am happy with my workflow, but is there a way of doing it so that I go back to the Library and I see the original version AND the edited version (rather than 2 edited versions)

My second question - is there any way of editing a picture in Develop module, and then Exporting it and overwriting the original with the same file name.

I won't be surprised if LR is not designed to do just what I am asking, and it may well be the case that I need to embrace the "non-destructive" nature of LR, but I just want to know for sure before I think about that.

Thank you very much, if you have followed what I have said and I appreciate any suggestions or insight

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
In my opinion you do
need to embrace the "non-destructive" nature of LR,
By using Virtual copies in Lightroom you can have as many 'versions' of a photo as you want, and only ever have one file in your computer.
Only 'Export' when you need one of the 'versions' to give, send, print, etc, and consider the exported file as expendable, as you can always export the same image again in future.
Over-writing your original files is prone to errors occurring at some time. Make good use of Lightroom's features.

Don't forget that the Develop module stores all develop steps in history where you can return and retrieve any step. Snapshots also preserve steps in the development. But my favorite is Virtual Copies. (Stacked if necessary, to minimize the number of thumbnails in the grid view).

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thanks very much for your reply - I will have to get more familiar with the functionality - I have had a quick look at Virtual Copies, and I think I can see how this will help me... I think I will keep the original file "untouched" and only make changes to virtual copies...

Last edited:

JimHess43

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
I think you will find that it's perfectly safe to work on your master JPEG images because they are always left "untouched". The Lightroom changes that you make are stored in the catalog, nothing is done to the original image. But virtual copies still come in handy when you want to have different looks. Perhaps you might want to have a black-and-white rendering of one of your images, or you might want to crop it differently. Virtual copies really come in handy. But you don't need to worry about ever ruining your master image. A quick click of the reset button in the develop module will clear all of the Lightroom adjustments and restore the image to its original imported state.