Question about upgrading from 4.4 to 6.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelvinjouhar

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I am going to buy the permanent licence upgrade on the Adobe website. It is a download onto my computer. Up to date I have always been a Windows user, and I am currently using a Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop. In a few months I am thinking that I might buy a new Mac desktop computer with a big screen just for my photo activities.

I have a CD for Lightroom 4.4 , but how will I upgrade to 6.x on my new Mac, if the download and upgrade has been done already on my Windows laptop ?

Thanks very much for any information.

A licence allows you to install on two systems, which may be the same or different operating systems (I currently have LR installed on a Win10 desktop and a Mac laptop). So you'd simply download and install the Mac version when/if you buy a Mac computer.

Thank you very much Jim - so it sounds like the Adobe website will know I have bought the upgrade, and I can simply log-in at a later date and get the Mac version. I appreciate your reply.

Actually, anybody can download the current version and run it for 30 days for free. To make your installation permanent, you input the serial number you got with the windows version.

If you have an upgrade license, LR will check for the qualifying version license. (in your case LR4) When you install LR6 on the Windows computer, LR will look where it expects the LR4 license to be. IF if finds it, LR will ask you to provide the upgrade license code.
When you get around to installing LR 6 on a new computer (Win or Mac) LR will not find the license number for LR4. LR will then ask you to supply the LR4 license number AND the LR6 Upgrade license number. If you nee to find the LR4 License number, it will be stored at Adobe in your account management section where you registered your LR version.

I finally got round to buying my LR6 upgrade from the Adobe website and the process went very smoothly. I have not had a chance to have a good look at the new functionality yet - it took about 5 hours to go through all my pictures (only about 13,000) and do the "face recognition" - although I am not sure whether I will use that or not. I have also bought the LR6 e-book and paperback from Victoria's website and I will have a browse through that over the next few days.

I enjoy making photobooks and I am looking forward to customise some new page templates and being able to save them. It would be good if you could make pages that had a picture in the middle and the ability to wrap the text all the way round, but I don't think that's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back