• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Question about upgrading from 4.4 to 6.x

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I am going to buy the permanent licence upgrade on the Adobe website. It is a download onto my computer. Up to date I have always been a Windows user, and I am currently using a Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop. In a few months I am thinking that I might buy a new Mac desktop computer with a big screen just for my photo activities.

I have a CD for Lightroom 4.4 , but how will I upgrade to 6.x on my new Mac, if the download and upgrade has been done already on my Windows laptop ?

Thanks very much for any information.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
A licence allows you to install on two systems, which may be the same or different operating systems (I currently have LR installed on a Win10 desktop and a Mac laptop). So you'd simply download and install the Mac version when/if you buy a Mac computer.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thank you very much Jim - so it sounds like the Adobe website will know I have bought the upgrade, and I can simply log-in at a later date and get the Mac version. I appreciate your reply.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Actually, anybody can download the current version and run it for 30 days for free. To make your installation permanent, you input the serial number you got with the windows version.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you have an upgrade license, LR will check for the qualifying version license. (in your case LR4) When you install LR6 on the Windows computer, LR will look where it expects the LR4 license to be. IF if finds it, LR will ask you to provide the upgrade license code.
When you get around to installing LR 6 on a new computer (Win or Mac) LR will not find the license number for LR4. LR will then ask you to supply the LR4 license number AND the LR6 Upgrade license number. If you nee to find the LR4 License number, it will be stored at Adobe in your account management section where you registered your LR version.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I finally got round to buying my LR6 upgrade from the Adobe website and the process went very smoothly. I have not had a chance to have a good look at the new functionality yet - it took about 5 hours to go through all my pictures (only about 13,000) and do the "face recognition" - although I am not sure whether I will use that or not. I have also bought the LR6 e-book and paperback from Victoria's website and I will have a browse through that over the next few days.

I enjoy making photobooks and I am looking forward to customise some new page templates and being able to save them. It would be good if you could make pages that had a picture in the middle and the ability to wrap the text all the way round, but I don't think that's possible.