• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

question about migrating to new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelha

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Classic, latest version
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm about to buy a newer, swifter system -- 8 year old architecture is getting too troubled by all the LR & PS CC advances (and the hardware is slowly giving up.) Since my computer background extends way back into DOS days, I stayed folder oriented as I added pix. The I realized that in order to get my travel images, with their edits, onto my regular computer I had to export them as a catalog. Since that was just a small set, I had no problems. Soon I will be faced with a much more complicated situation.

Hence my question -- how do I do this transfer & get everything over to the new system? Everything now includes, not only the raw files & all the post processing, and the resultant jpg's, but also tiff files, psd files (because I played around a lot with the jpgs,) and moto z jpgs that my phone spits out (that often go through LR processing to improve what motorola gives me.) As

I write this, I am thinking that hand copying everything, then going into the old LT & creating catalogs of major pieces, exporting these & them importing them into the new computer might be the only way to get it all over. Is this true? Is there a better way?

It's a link. Just click on it.
I am totally baffled. The only links coming through are your website & fb page, and the line with 'report quote reply'. I've attached a snip of what I see.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 232
Hi pelha, just checking you found it ok. You'd actually quoted the link in your reply to Johan. The blog post he linked to will walk you through how to transfer to the new computer.

ah, finally. thanks, Victoria for reminding me -- I am able to see the link on firefox, but wasn't able to on my extension protected chrome. i hadn't gotten to trying firefox before this morning because i bought the new computer thursday & have been in new system hell ever since ,

new question -- how do i print the instructions? the page seems to be protected from printing.

thanks for your in & help!

There's nothing at our end stopping printing, so it might be another of those fun extensions!

yes, i have to use firefox when i want to change anything in my smugmug account. i could take off the chrome incognito, etc extensions, but i sometimes do some wild tech searches. btw, i may be back with more transfer questions next weekend -- i had to order an external drive to handle the file transfers. (i can't just out & buy since we're iced in for a couple of days.)

Great, you're welcome any time!

Hello everyone,
I am in the process of moving Lightroom over to my new computer. I am using Lightroom 5. On a windows based system (from win 7 to win 10)I have found the post about doing the transfer which will be so helpful in that process. My question is
I have over 20000 photos that are in my catalog. I have my folders and tags organized the way I would like to keep them. (Also my files on the hard drive in the my picture folder) But I would like to get my catalog file set up transferred without putting all 20000 photos on my new hard drive I have them backed up on a external hard drive as a catalog back up and a my pictures file.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I suggest that you start by reading this article: How do I move Lightroom to a new computer?

With only 20,000 images I am wondering what you are trying to accomplish by leaving part of your images behind. It can be done but it creates all sorts of management issues.

-louie

I couldn't get LR to see my presets, was driving me batty this morning i ran across this page:
What changed about Presets with Lightroom Classic 7.3 and Lightroom CC 1.3? .
i gather what i've been trying to install on my new machine has been the old format presets. so exactly how do i install the new format, where do i find these files one my old machine? (which i'm assuming exists somewhere there. if not i'll have to re-activate that in my adobe 2-fer & will need to ask how to create them.)

If you put the "old" presets in the "old" location, Lightroom will convert them when it opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back