• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop module Query over preset storage change

Status
Not open for further replies.

africalass

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi all!

In Lightroom preferences I have always had it set as 'store presets with this catalog'. I have quite a few develop presets - these are all stored in separate folders inside 'lightroom settings/settings'. Through the years I've done the various conversions to the latest updates and these are all xmps. All working perfectly.

I have just tried to install some presets I got online for the first time in ages. I used the plus button in the develop module. This however has stored them loosely in the 'appdata/roaming/adobe/cameraraw/importedsettings' folder. Although they are not in their own folder in Explorer, inside Lightroom it has correctly identified the folder name so that they are under a toggle button.

I don't know why they are going to the roaming folder rather than the preset folder with the catalog. I also can't see any way to move them in a way that Lightroom would recognise. I would definitely prefer to keep these in a folder of their own inside a folder with the rest of the presets.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

I also can't see any way to move them in a way that Lightroom would recognise. I would definitely prefer to keep these in a folder of their own inside a folder with the rest of the presets.
Use Windows File Explorer to move the presets from ImportedSettings folder to the Lightroom Settings\Settings folder. You can move them into a subfolder of Lightroom Settings\Settings, and LR will still load them (though the group they appear within in the Preset panel is specified inside the .xmp file, not by which folder contains the .xmp file). Restart LR for the changes to take effect.

Hi John
Thanks so much for your time. The link was really interesting. Personally, I hope that this behaviour changes in a future version, or that there are more options offered.
I will follow your instructions to move the presets and message back if I have any challenges.
Thanks again.

All worked great - I think from now on I'll import presets by just putting the unzipped folder into the lightroom settings/settings folder, rather than using the LR system. Keeps them in neat folders and easier for me to see what I have and haven't backed up to external drives too.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back