• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Puzzled by import preset's behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I've been using an import preset for some time and finally want to figure out how to stop one part of the preset's actions. As you can see from the attached screenshot, I import photos from my camera card and place one copy to a folder with the path Derivatives->2022->March 2022. I reset the destination month's folder manually by updating the preset. I also have the preset make a copy of each image into a folder with the path Originals->2022->March 2022 and change the month's folder as needed. The photos in the Originals' folders remain unchanged, while I use the ones in the Derivatives folders as my working files within Lightroom.

Here's my puzzle -- the preset always makes subfolders by date for the files copied into the Originals' folders, even though I want all this photos into one (monthly) folder. I have not checked any boxes to create subfolders so I don't know how to stop creating the folders that are created by import date.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 8.56.24 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 8.56.24 AM.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 110
You can't stop that happening. You are using the "Make a Second Copy" option to store the "Originals", and that specific option is designed to copy the new imports into a specific sub-folder named in the format "Imported on dd month yyyy". The intention was that the "second copy" option would be an immediate backup copy of the contents of the camera memory card, thus allowing the card to be reformatted and reused before the user's system-wide backups would backup the prime copy (which you call "Derivatives").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back