Purchased LR6 Standalone, but now shows as Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leoa

For the last 3 days I have been on live chats with Adobe but problem still not solved. A bit of background:

I could not find a way of purchasing the standalone as Adobe are intent on keeping it hidden for whatever reason. So I went on live chat, they gave me a link, I paid, I downloaded.

Unbeknown to me, after I installed LR6 and it was working perfectly, I received a popup on my Mac which read that there is an update for Lightroom CC (2015). At first I ignored it but then I thought, maybe LR6 and Lightroom CC is the same thing so I said ok and updated it, except it got to 50% and then said "waiting". So I was back on live chat to find out what to do. I cancelled the update and carried on and decided to update my version to 6.12. Except everytime I tried to update, it took me to Creative Cloud. I didnt understand this since I was updating LR6 and not LRCC. It kept on giving me an error. After lots of backwards and fowards and being shunted from pillar to posts and downloading stuff I had already downloaded, today I asked them to help me rid my machine of Creative Cloud as I wanted nothing to do with CC. So I followed the process and successfully deleted CC from my Mac as well as Lightroom CC. Then I installed LR6, entered my serial number and thought everything would now work. But NO, update would still not run. The pop up told me I have more than one copy of Adobe Application Manager open which I did not.

So I have been doing this for the last 3 days. Today I was told to call the local Adobe number which I did and then they gave me another number which I called and was told that number no longer existed.

I then decided to Sign Out of Lightroom, shut down and reopen, and thats when I realised Lightroom is being seen as a trial and not as a registered version. Back on to chat with Adobe, they lead me through a few steps but still doesnt work. I get told to contact somewhere which they never gave me a link to and someone with expertise will assist.

I suspect that once my LR6 can be seen as a registered version and not a trial, it will update normally.

Anyone here can assist please? Im at my wits end.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 17.07.27.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 17.07.27.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,183
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 16.23.47.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 16.23.47.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 16.25.34.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 16.25.34.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 489
Last edited by a moderator:
Ive tried that, and the splash screen shows that its Lightroom 6, yet if I sign out , shut it down and log back in again, it insists I sign in because its a trial version. LR6 should work without being connected to the internet. It should not require you to log onto anywhere. Hence standalone. This trial issue does not allow me to update to 6.12

The only time you need to be connected to the internet is when you actually sign in (to validate that you are operating within the rules of the perpetual license, i.e. no more than two concurrent active installations). Once signed in you can happily disconnect your system from the internet and LR will carry on running....just don't sign out again unless you no longer want to use Lightroom on that computer.

For sign-in/sign-out, think activate/deactivate.

Update: Had Adobe remote access my computer to try and solve the problem, no luck. Uninstalled LR6 and CC and some other software, reinstalled CC first and immediately hit a problem. Lightroom was only available as a trial. No indication of my LR there at all. Back to the drawing board. Someone would call me within an hour. Two hours later I call back speak to someone else who is non the wiser. They lead me to Pro-Design tools to download LR6 from there...another stumbling block...Access Denied. Back to the drawing board.
Wish I had stuck to my LR5. Im seriously frustrated and fed up. Havent been able to work for 3 full days now.

Are you actually running OS X 10.4 as your profile indicates?
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom system requirements
"Lightroom CC 2015.1/Lightroom 6.1 and earlier versions are supported on Mac OS X 10.8 and Lightroom CC 2015.6.1/Lightroom 6.6.1 and earlier are supported on Mac OS X 10.9. "
Actually I have no idea where its getting that detail as Im running 10.12.6 Sierra. Its also saying I have LR6 which right at this point I dont have any Lightroom loaded on my computer.

It gets it from your Personal Details. Click on your name in the upper right and choose Personal Details. Then update the specs to what you're actually using. It will be helpful if you need any further assistance in the future.

It gets it from your Personal Details. Click on your name in the upper right and choose Personal Details. Then update the specs to what you're actually using. It will be helpful if you need any further assistance in the future.
Will do that thank you.

I had similar issues for a long time and had Adobe doing remote support several times without resolution. While I do not have a definite solution ... my problem stemmed from installation issues associated with my installation of Creative Suite CS6 and required several uninstall / re-installs of Creative Suite CS6. During each of these re-installs I then had issues with my Adobe Acrobat CS6 getting confused with the current version of Acrobat CC (ie full Acrobat, not the Acrobat reader). I had several months of frustration where for no reason I was back in Trial Mode , no matter how many times I signed in and out. I might be tempting fate now... but have not had the problem for several months.

I had similar issues for a long time and had Adobe doing remote support several times without resolution. While I do not have a definite solution ... my problem stemmed from installation issues associated with my installation of Creative Suite CS6 and required several uninstall / re-installs of Creative Suite CS6. During each of these re-installs I then had issues with my Adobe Acrobat CS6 getting confused with the current version of Acrobat CC (ie full Acrobat, not the Acrobat reader). I had several months of frustration where for no reason I was back in Trial Mode , no matter how many times I signed in and out. I might be tempting fate now... but have not had the problem for several months.
Gosh, I share your frustration, but I cant go on like this for months, I have over 600 photos to edit. Its driving me insane because nobody at Adobe is any closer to a solution. I can use LR6 but I cannot update it to 6.12. I do not use CC at all and I do not want to use CC at all. I dont use any of the other Adobe products. I have PSE 15 standalone (which works perfectly without any link to CC and LR6 standalone and thats all I need. My LR5 never had any issues. Im hoping this gets resolved soonest.

What happens when you start Lightroom .... do you still get an error message..

Leoa,

Lightroom 6.x and CC2015.x are the same identical piece of software. It is the same software download. The only difference is in how the license is validated (and subsequently which features are active).

Reading through your thread it looks like you have multiple issues.

Since you are a Mac user according to your profile I will provide you with the direct link to patch any version of 6.x to 6.12 (Current): http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/mac/AdobeLightroom-6.0/6.12/setup.dmg

This is found on page: Download Photoshop Lightroom

If you run this patch file does it error at the 50% mark like the other update you attempted to perform?

What happens when you start Lightroom .... do you still get an error message..
Starting Lightroom is not a problem. It shows Lightroom 6 on the splash screen. The problem comes in when I want to update it. It wont let me. Neither via CC nor via the 6.12 download which I have. It tells me I have another Adobe Application Manager open which I must close. Except, there is no other AAM open. Also, When I sign out of CC, it warns me that I wont be able to use Lightroom. If I close LR6 and open it again it says I am using the trial version. So I select Register now (or whatever the wording is), I enter my serial number, and works fine until I want to update it to 6.12. It just wont let me.

Leoa,

Lightroom 6.x and CC2015.x are the same identical piece of software. It is the same software download. The only difference is in how the license is validated (and subsequently which features are active).

Since you are a Mac user according to your profile I will provide you with the direct link to patch any version of 6.x to 6.12 (Current): http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/mac/AdobeLightroom-6.0/6.12/setup.dmg

If you run this patch file does it error at the 50% mark like the other update you attempted to perform?
I will try that patch and revert back with an answer.

Starting Lightroom is not a problem.

I understand the frustration of been caught in an update loop ... but at least you should be able to get any critical work done in the interim. I hope Rikk's option works.

Leoa,

Just tried that patch. Same problem occurs. It throws out an error that there is another AAM open which there isnt.

I understand the frustration of been caught in an update loop ... but at least you should be able to get any critical work done in the interim. I hope Rikk's option works.
Fortunately I can still use LR6 but its frustrating me to no end that I cannot update it. I was hoping that Rikk's solution would work but to no avail. And the error makes no sense. LR6 as it is without the update doesnt read CR2 files from the Canon 80D, not even converting to DNG. It only reads from my 5DMKII and MKIII. I need that update.

Fortunately I can still use LR6 but its frustrating me to no end that I cannot update it. I was hoping that Rikk's solution would work but to no avail. And the error makes no sense. LR6 as it is without the update doesnt read CR2 files from the Canon 80D, not even converting to DNG. It only reads from my 5DMKII and MKIII. I need that update.

What you could try is the following. Start the Activity Monitor application. It is in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder. Activity Monitor will give you a list of all running processes. Look for any process with Adobe in it, select it and kill it by clicking the X button in the upper left corner. Do the same for processes with the Create Cloud icon, starting with CC in their name. Then try to run that updater. If it works, restart your Mac to get all these processes running again before starting Lightroom.

What Johan said. There is a background instance of Adobe Account Manager running that is preventing the patch from applying.

What Johan said. There is a background instance of Adobe Account Manager running that is preventing the patch from applying.
This problem also happened when the Adobe support remote accessed my Mac. So he opened Utilities, Activity Monitor and killed anything that had Adobe and/or CC. There was only one AAM running and thats the one that had just popped up. I still havent heard from them today.

What you could try is the following. Start the Activity Monitor application. It is in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder. Activity Monitor will give you a list of all running processes. Look for any process with Adobe in it, select it and kill it by clicking the X button in the upper left corner. Do the same for processes with the Create Cloud icon, starting with CC in their name. Then try to run that updater. If it works, restart your Mac to get all these processes running again before starting Lightroom.
The Adobe support guy who remote accessed my Mac, did that, he killed all Adobe/CC processes, ran the update and again the message that another AAM is open popped up again so he rebooted my Mac, I gave him remote access again and started from scratch....to no avail.

OK, here's one more thing you can try. You can try it first without any other steps, if it doesn't work you can try it in combination with the Activity Monitor killing spree. :)

1: Double click the 'Setup.dmg' file that is the updater
2: When the updater has mounted, do not double click the 'AdobePatchInstaller.app' icon, but right-click (or Ctrl-click) on it.
3: A contextual menu should come up. Choose 'Show Package Contents'.
4: The installer app should open as if it is a folder. Inside that folder you'll see another folder called 'Contents'. Open it.
5: You'll now see a couple of folders and some other stuff. One of the folders is called 'MacOS'. Open that one.
6: In that folder you see another 'AdobePatch Installer' with a black icon. Double click on it.

What should happen is that the Terminal app launches. It will show some text in a window that you can simply ignore. If it works, the installer should now start to run, so the first thing that will probably happen is that you will be asked for your password, just like with any installer. Fill in your password and let things run. If the update works, you can quit the Terminal app once the installation is finished.

OK, here's one more thing you can try. You can try it first without any other steps, if it doesn't work you can try it in combination with the Activity Monitor killing spree. :)

1: Double click the 'Setup.dmg' file that is the updater
2: When the updater has mounted, do not double click the 'AdobePatchInstaller.app' icon, but right-click (or Ctrl-click) on it.
3: A contextual menu should come up. Choose 'Show Package Contents'.
4: The installer app should open as if it is a folder. Inside that folder you'll see another folder called 'Contents'. Open it.
5: You'll now see a couple of folders and some other stuff. One of the folders is called 'MacOS'. Open that one.
6: In that folder you see another 'AdobePatch Installer' with a black icon. Double click on it.

What should happen is that the Terminal app launches. It will show some text in a window that you can simply ignore. If it works, the installer should now start to run, so the first thing that will probably happen is that you will be asked for your password, just like with any installer. Fill in your password and let things run. If the update works, you can quit the Terminal app once the installation is finished.
Thanks Johan, but still did not work :-( See the screenshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back