• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColMac9090

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Win 10 64
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): 7.1 [1148620]

Some advice please.

I'm trying to share approx. 4,000 old family history images going back to 1900, with family relations for them to a) enjoy, and also b) advise me of any missing/incorrect information.

Many/most of these images will have some combination of Date captured, Title, Caption, Location and Keywords (including people names).

Several of my close relatives have agreed to check this data (where they can), so it is essential that all this data is displayed alongside each image. Synced Lightroom CC Classic images appears to do this, until I share it, when Keywords are not displayed (at least on my pages, and I cannot see a setting to change this.)

Adobe Portfolio also does not display Keywords or indeed other data, and again I cannot see any setting to change this.

I did have a look at Flickr to do this, but I find it very clunky to work with.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help display this data.
lr1.jpg
lr2.jpg

No, synched Lightroom Classic will not do this. Lightroom Classic does not sync keywords with the cloud. Keywords in XMP will be uploaded the first time, but changes won't sync and keywords you add later won't either. You might be able use Lightroom CC to do this. When you set up the share, you can check the option that metadata are displayed, but the metadata in a shared album can not be changed by the people you share the album with. They can leave comments, though.

I'll have to have a look at that. My first thoughts when Adobe launched the new CC (or more likely let it escape, as I cannot believe anyone with half a brain would have planned a launch like this was) this hugely confusing new product was that I did not want to complicate the issue with an additional version of LR (CC).

Having had a few weeks since, I'm still not sure I can see any great advantage to this new product (even if it does solve this specific problem!).

Having had a few weeks since, I'm still not sure I can see any great advantage to this new product (even if it does solve this specific problem!).

There may not be any great advantage to you or in fact many users, however it's also true to say that some people, maybe many people, will see advantages for them. Apart from the "have you pictures with you wherever to go" capability of the cloud-centric approach, there's also the fact that for many users the benefits of the removal of the need for catalog and file management cannot be under-estimated.

I don't disagree at all. But the launch/naming issues is still a shambles. They have caused no end of confusion in many many customers.

The new product may be excellent (I have no great views one way or another) but the launch was a marketing disaster. I think this will be a case history for years to come in marketing text-books as an example of how not to manage a launch.

Last edited:
I don't disagree at all. But the launch/naming issues is still a shambles. They have caused no end of confusion in many many customers.

The new product may be excellent (I have no great views one way or another) but the launch was a marketing disaster. I think this will be a case history for years to come in marketing text-books as an example of how not to manage a launch.
There have been worse. Look up "New Coke," as just one example. Or how about "Colgate frozen TV dinners," or "Harley Davidson perfumes" or "Smith and Wesson bicycles." (All real examples.) I agree about the launch/naming being a disaster. Everyone on that launch/website team should be reassigned to another product.

Phil Burton

I have a test gallery that I just played with on smugmug. I'll see if that picks up keywords the way you want when I get home. I don't have my laptop with me to completely test.

I have a test gallery that I just played with on smugmug. I'll see if that picks up keywords the way you want when I get home. I don't have my laptop with me to completely test.

Thanks. That was the question I had posed. Its got slightly lost in the wider discussion

Smugmug will do what you want...but you have to pay for it. See MarkandKay and have a look around. first click on a photo on the main page (anyone). Keywords are under the main photo (if I've added them!), the 'i' symbol under the photos shows more info. You can also customise it and set it up differently to mine but need a power (or higher) subscription. Also smugmug provides a good integration plugin for publishing from LR

Thanks

I did have a SmugMug account, but I let it lapse as it was too expensive to justify for what I used. A basic account however is not too bad. I will have a look and try a 14 day test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back