• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Publishing virtual copies

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Photographe

Is there a problem with publishing 2 virtual copies to the same folder? I placed both in the appropriate folder, but only one got published (and the other ones remains stubbornly in the "to be published" category).

Works fine for me.

I just created a Publish Collection and loaded it with images and virtual copies and all show Published and none so To Be Published. All files made it to the destination. The VC's have a -2 on the file name.

If you test with a different file does it work? Perhaps something is wonky with the file? Or, are the VC's identical (no edits have been made to one that weren't made to the other?)

Strange; I tried with another file and the same thing happened. I had one file already published. I created a VC and made some changes to the VC. Then I moved to VC to the publish folder and it won't get published.

Could you be having problems with a duplicate file name? If bother virtual copies are assigned the same export file name LR will be unable to write the second to the same folder as the first. If you check the Checkbox in the file naming section of the Publishing Service and use a file naming template like: "{Filename»}.{CopyName»}", you will get unique file names for each VC. You can try this to see if it solves your problem.

I changed the naming from {Custom Text}-{Filename number suffix} to {Custom Text}-{Filename number suffix}-{Sequence #(1)>>} and that solved the problem.

Ok, I can duplicate it now but on PC only. Mac works fine

The critical step is that you create the VC after you have first published the image. My VCs were created prior to the publish and they worked fine. But If I create another VC of a previously published file and attempt to publish, it doesn't work.

Changing the Copy Name in metadata does not solve the problem either. However, Cletus' suggestion of renaming with the Copy Number as part of the File Rename template does solve the issue and force a publish.

I still think this can be considered a bug though, as in regular export you can export several virtual copies of an image without having anything else than the filename in the File Rename Template. It just suffixes the file name with -2, -3 etc.

Beat

I have to test in the RC before I report...

I just tested with the latest RC and got the following results:

If you add a VC to a publish service (HD) after the original residing in the same publish service has already been published:

• The VC gets added under "New Photos to Publish"
  • When you then publish, the VC overwrites the original on HD
  • When you then remove one of the two and re-publish, it gets remove from HD
  • When you then try to remove the second one and re-publish, you get the following error:
    RepublishError.png
The VC can exist in the catalog before the original is published, but it only happens if the VC is added to the publish service after the original has been published.

Beat

Are you going to file a bug, Beat?

Acutally I thought you were going to do it, Rikk ;)

Beat

I have taken care of it. I have also quoted (and credited ) your research as well.

Photographe,

It is doubtful this will be fixed by the time the 3.4 RC becomes the official 3.4.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help in pinning it down and confirming.

Now if someone could only confirm that facebook navigation bug I posted to the FB people yesterday....

Sorry, I'm a no-face booker :cry:

Beat

See this:

... However, Cletus' suggestion of renaming with the Copy Number as part of the File Rename template does solve the issue and force a publish.

Beat

"Virtual Copies added to a Publish to Hard Drive collection could fail to export properly if the original image had already been published"

From the 3.4 release notes on the Lightroom Journal.

Could you be having problems with a duplicate file name? If bother virtual copies are assigned the same export file name LR will be unable to write the second to the same folder as the first. If you check the Checkbox in the file naming section of the Publishing Service and use a file naming template like: "{Filename»}.{CopyName»}", you will get unique file names for each VC. You can try this to see if it solves your problem.
hello, 10 years later and we still have trouble publishing virtual copies. my file naming is "YYYYMM_Custom Text_Filename number suffix" which is one of the default choices. if i add {Copy Name} to the end of that it becomes "custom" and my custom text changes to "untitled" and i lose my text description from the file name. is there a work around other than retyping the custom text with each collection published?

hello, 10 years later and we still have trouble publishing virtual copies. my file naming is "YYYYMM_Custom Text_Filename number suffix" which is one of the default choices. if i add {Copy Name} to the end of that it becomes "custom" and my custom text changes to "untitled" and i lose my text description from the file name. is there a work around other than retyping the custom text with each collection published?

I don’t think I understand your question. You need too include both the {Filename} token and the {Copyname} token in your file naming template to use the example that I gave 10 years ago.

Can you post your file naming template exactly and perhaps I can understand where you are missing the naming process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back