• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Published Collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapeCodFrank

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I recently had to create a new catalog. I did so, and then imported my old catalog. Worked fine, except for the "published collections". They did not make the trip. Since I have a bunch of them, is it possible to teach my new catalog about them, so that all the existing published collections will work with my new catalog? My published collections are mainly to the Hard Disk, but I have a bunch on Flickr as well.

I suspect that no collections made the trip (of which Publish Services is just one flavor).

I am not aware of any tool that can copy Publish Service collections from one catalog to another but that doesn't mean there aren't some out there from 3rd parties. I'm always amazed at the capability of some of the plugin's that get mentioned in these forums.

Anyway, you did not articulate the reason that you "had" to create a new catalog. If the old catalog is at all usable and depending on what the matter with it is, and how many of these Publish Collections you have, it may be better to go back and clean up the old catalog.

Re Flickr published collections, Friedl's publishing plugins, e.g. this one for Flickr, try to make it possible to populate new published collections from the albums/galleries/collections/sets in the publishing service. I've never tried it, but it looks complicated, and I've seen a couple of reports from other users having issues. Friedl is much more responsive about his plugins than Adobe, so if you run into trouble, he might be able to help. But it's pretty clear from the documentation that he's implying it won't always work well.

A couple of years ago I wrote a plugin called Collection Copier which I've never released. The main focus is on copying from one collection set to another. So it lets you copy a published collection structure (and/or items) to the collections panel, and then you can import the catalogue into another, which brings over the new collection set. It requires care, and is better in a cleaner situation than you have described. eg Someone wanted to copy his Stock Agency XYZ published collection to Stock Agency ABC.

But why not reverse your process - reopen a copy of the old catalogue, and import the new one into it. LR should be smart enough to marry things up, but you should review the results very carefully and be prepared for it not to work. That's why I say "a copy", and in this kind of situation I would always recommend making catalogue backups at each step.

I suspect that no collections made the trip (of which Publish Services is just one flavor).

I am not aware of any tool that can copy Publish Service collections from one catalog to another but that doesn't mean there aren't some out there from 3rd parties. I'm always amazed at the capability of some of the plugin's that get mentioned in these forums.

Anyway, you did not articulate the reason that you "had" to create a new catalog. If the old catalog is at all usable and depending on what the matter with it is, and how many of these Publish Collections you have, it may be better to go back and clean up the old catalog.
Actually, all the collections made the trip. The reason I had to build a new catalog was that LR couldn’t build a slideshow. It stops during the process of trying to build a preview of one of the slides. Happens every time with a variety of image types. I thought that there must be something wrong with the catalog, so I created a new one, imported the old one, and my slideshow problem went away.

Re Flickr published collections, Friedl's publishing plugins, e.g. this one for Flickr, try to make it possible to populate new published collections from the albums/galleries/collections/sets in the publishing service. I've never tried it, but it looks complicated, and I've seen a couple of reports from other users having issues. Friedl is much more responsive about his plugins than Adobe, so if you run into trouble, he might be able to help. But it's pretty clear from the documentation that he's implying it won't always work well.
Thank you for the idea, but many of the published collections are to the hard disk. I do have a number to Flickr, but haven’t explored it yet.

Website might have gone down, but it's up again now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back