• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

PS Luminosity Masks and Lightroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_B

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I recently read of the use of luminosity masks in photoshop to bring out tones in landscape work. I'll be the first to admit I'm a novice at digital photography, but it occurs to me that Lightroom 5.3 pretty much has this covered in the Basic and HSL/Color/B&W toolsets in the Develop module. Is this true? I'm interested in the opinions and advice from more informed photographers. Do you use LR and post-LR luminosity masking in PS? If so, I'd like to hear more about your workflow or the times when luminosity masking makes sense (in addition to LR).

Thank you for your time.

Bob

I wouldn't put PS luminosity masks on an elevated pedestal. Too often they're used by people who don't know Lightroom and/or are accustomed to doing everything in Photoshop. I've used them a bit over the years, but much less since Lr4. In fact, I'm trying to remember when I last needed to use them.

You seem aware that LR4 and LR5 do a lot of that masking, without making the user aware it's happening. So when you drag shadows, LR builds a mask to identify continuous areas of shadows, and it's the same for the other Basic panel adjustments. You can also include Exposure/Highlights/Shadows in local adjustments, as again you're using masks to target certain tonal values.

If I can recall when I last used them - apart from in a demo - I'll post back!

John

Last edited:
Ha. Ansel Adams' Zone VI workshop book was my bible when doing b/w 'wet' photography way back when. I hadn't connected zones with luminosity masks, until you brought up that book.

For me, I think LR has luminosity covered pretty well. I may explore using PS for further luminosity control, but it isn't high on my list of things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back