• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

PS --> LrC: File saved from PS to LrC changes appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

edrudolph

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I recently started having a problem with files sent from LrC to PS, modified in PS using Topaz DeNoise and/or Sharpen, and then resaving back to LrC.

I open these files in PS to use Topaz plug-ins on them and I keep the plug-in results on layers: BG is the original file, Layer 1 is Denoised, Layer 2 is a sharpened version of Layer 1. Before saving I flatten the file.

Lately the color may be way off in the file saved into LrC... like way off. Or it may appear a lot darker. But if I go back to PS, undo the fllattening, then save, the file in LrC looks as it should, i.e., as it does in PS, and then if I flatten and save again, it still looks right.

What is going on here? (PS Color Settings panel is attached. )

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 10.38.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 10.38.25 PM.png
    842.8 KB · Views: 65
I'm curious, when you export to PS, what is the file type? TIFF, PSD, some sort of RAW file?

Sorry edrudolph, I've been busy. I am going to try to duplicate this using dng. As for your Color Panel settings, they look normal. I set mine to use Adobe 98. It is my common ground between apps. But no big deal. I will get back to you after I try this out.

Edrudolph, what Color profile do you use (or see) while in PS? And if you go to Convert to Profile - do you see a "Flatten Image to preserve appearance" Check box there? I was just wondering... I don't think you have this checked off, or you would lose your layers.

Also, in LrC - Preferences - File Handling Tab, under the dng - JPEG Preview, do you use Full, or None? And - Embed Fast Load Data...checked off?

And when you do your Save in PS, does it come back to LrC as a tif file? (Like mine does) Or are you using Save_As dng file? I find I am having a tough time duplicating what you state - and in the same order. But I'm old.

Edrudolph, what Color profile do you use (or see) while in PS? And if you go to Convert to Profile - do you see a "Flatten Image to preserve appearance" Check box there? I was just wondering... I don't think you have this checked off, or you would lose your layers.

Also, in LrC - Preferences - File Handling Tab, under the dng - JPEG Preview, do you use Full, or None? And - Embed Fast Load Data...checked off?

And when you do your Save in PS, does it come back to LrC as a tif file? (Like mine does) Or are you using Save_As dng file? I find I am having a tough time duplicating what you state - and in the same order. But I'm old.
For color I use ProPhotoRGB. In Convert to Profile "Flatten Image to preserve appearance" is grayed out. In LrC File Handling Prefs I use the defaults: Med size and Embed Fast Load Data is checked.

Saving back to LrC I get tif files.

Thanks for thinking about this Ken!

Did you try resetting the Photoshop preferences? There was a bug where the color profile was stripped at some stage, although I believe that was when the file went into Photoshop, not on return. Resetting the Photoshop preferences solved it. That bug should be fixed, but maybe that fix is now sometimes causing something like this on return.

Haven't reset PS prefs. Also, have not had this happen again in my limited use of the LrC --> PS --> LrC workflow. The next time it does I'll reset the PS prefs. Thanks, Johan!

Yes, glad to hear of that fix Johan. I can't really duplicate it. I tried...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back